AVS Forum banner

DVD Recorder Units and how to record stored programs & Live from DirecTV

516 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Nikodaddy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm not looking to record in HD just SD. Will this unit sold at Best Buy allow me to record stored shows on my DirecTV DVR and will I be able to record live shows as they happen. I have the main DirecTV receiver in one room and four "mini receivers" from which one I will hook up this unit to do recordings. Any help would be appreciated.
Toshiba - Multiformat DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW Recorder/VCR Combo with HD Upconversion - Black

• Model: DVR620

#3 ·
Yes, the Toshiba DVR-620 will work for you (I'm astonished to see them available again at Best Buy, they appeared to be discontinued a few months ago with prices soaring into the stratosphere).

Note, however, you may encounter a "cannot record: protected content" lockout on some channels or shows. All dvd recorders include a "protection sensor" that prevents them engaging record mode when they sense a protection signal. Should this occur frequently on your favorite channels/shows. you would need to buy an accessory like The Grex or The Video Filter that connects between DirecTV box and the dvd recorder. These cost $90-$200.

For best results, use premium quality blanks like Verbatim AZO or Taiyo Yuden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.