Sony DVD recorder can't play / rip the discs on PC or MAC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony DVD recorder can't play / rip the discs on PC or MAC

Hi

I have just been given a Sony RDR-GX300 DVD recorder. I have hooked up my Samsung MiniDV Camcorder and have been able to record some tapes to some new DVD-R discs.

Once the recording has finished I am then able to replay the video that is now on the new DVD disc etc in the Sony DVD recorder / player.

However I then wanted to rip the DVD disc to my PC and have a copy on my file server. But both Windows 7 and Mac OSX say the disc is blank when I insert it and I cannot see any VIDEO_TS folder or .VOB files on the disc.

Yet if I put the disc back in to the Sony DVD recorder it plays fine again on there.

Its as if the Sony DVD recorder has not finalized the DVD-R discs or something?

I read the instructions for recording from other devices such as VCR or Camcorders and it just said to press Record Pause on the Sony DVD recorder, then press play and pause on your input device i.e. the camcorder and then as the same press play on the camcorder and the Record pause button again on the Sony DVD Recorder.

To end / finish the recording it said to press the Record Stop button on the Sony DVD recorder.

I'm confused I don't see why I cannot now rip the recorded DVD disc to the PC ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-23-2015, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My bad, looks like the discs aren't auto finalized, on page 37 in the user manual. You have to press the Tools button - Disc Info - Finalize.

Done this and I can now view the VIDEO_TS folder / files on the PC, which means I can now rip them for use on my Kodi media center system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page