Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2016, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer dvr-lx 61

Hello community,
my question I recently bought second hand pioneer dvr-lx 61 and I wanted to ask if I put material from my camera in internal HDD, why cant I see it when connected via USB on my comp?
I can only play files or burn them on DVD but when I connect it via USB I only get empty video and audio folders.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-04-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 230
DVD recorders record in a special format only readable by the DVD recorder that recorded it or similar DVD recorders. You can purchase special PC software to possibly see the contents of the HDD but it won't be in a format you can easily see or work with. Because of this your only real option is to burn to DVD and then you could play or copy that to your PC. Basically every DVD recorder is like this, not just Pioneer.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 89
As jjeff noted, when you copy videos from your camera to the hard drive of a dvd recorder, the videos are re-formatted on the fly to the MPEG2 system required to create DVDs. That format cannot be transferred out via USB or Ethernet.

The Pioneer DVR-LX61 was the "luxury" twin of the DVR-660HS. The only difference was the tuner: 660 is analog PAL/NTSC vs LX61 with Digital FreeView (DVB-T).

Both units are cursed with alleged "PC Connectivity" features that simply don't work. Rushed out the door as the last of Pioneer's flagship recorders before the company essentially collapsed, the USB and Ethernet ports have crippled firmware that Pioneer only tested fully with a narrowly specific version of Windows XP (a version that apparently no one outside Pioneer's laboratory has ever seen).

For all practical purposes, this means the Ethernet port serves no real function aside from downloading GraceNote updates. And the USB ports don't do anything beyond the bare minimum they do in most other similar recorders: you can copy still photos, MP3 audio files, and DiVX video files from USB memory sticks and USB hard drives to the Pioneer hard drive. Exporting in the other direction is usually not possible, especially not to a connected PC (although I have seen scattered reports from people who succeeded).

If you have files on a PC (or Mac or Linux) that you'd like to load on your LX61 hard drive, you generally must copy them first from PC to USB memory stick (or portable USB hard drive), then plug that stick/drive into your LX61, then use the Pioneer Media Gallery interface to copy them to its HDD.

Like other DVD/HDD recorders that promoted "media player" features, the LX61 isn't nearly as file-compatible as a PC. There are size/resolution limits to JPEG images, audio MP3s and WMA files are OK but Apple-format M4A is no-go, AVI videos must be strict DiVX format and MP4s often won't play.

Last edited by CitiBear; 04-11-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page