Toshiba RD-XS35 error 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-16-2016, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Toshiba RD-XS35 error 14

My Toshiba has been having issues lately. 9 times out of 10 when I try to copy from HDD to DVD via high speed dubbing it fails with a message onscreen indicating that the operation was terminated because of error on disc. I thought that I possibly had a bad batch of blanks, so I went out and bought some new ones. Same thing happened on the first try. I have always used Verbatim because that seemed to be the only brand that my previous recorder had a good success ratio with, but I'm wondering if trying different brands could be an effective troubleshooting method. I really hope this isn't the end of the road for this machine because I still have so many more old VHS tapes yet to be converted. Very much dreading the idea of being forced into upgrading to an HD unit, trying to keep it old-school for the rest of my life if possible. Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-18-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
If you are getting Error 14 with every blank you try, the burner is probably dying, but to be sure you'd need to try different brands and types. That can be difficult today, since 9 out of 10 brands are really made by just two companies. Even the once-invincible Verbatim DataLife Plus 8x DVD-R and TY/JVC have developed compatibility issues the past few years.

Exactly which blank Verbatims are you using? The version sold most commonly in stores and on Amazon is rated for 16x speed and not actually made by Verbatim: the orange/purple packaging needs to have the word or symbol "AZO" on it somewhere, or the discs are just generic junk that doesn't work well in recorders. Verbatim recently began backing away from "Genuine AZO" at retail: most of the spindles I see in stores "look" like the old AZO packaging but aren't labeled AZO (and identify as Ritek or some such when loaded in a PC). Like every other brand, production of most "Verbatim" media is now subcontracted to lesser mfrs.

People don't like hearing this, but DVD recorders are beyond dead and buried as a viable consumer product. The last really good ones designed for North America were discontinued nearly ten years ago, and those were already buggy and picky about blanks to begin with (your Toshiba XS-35 being one of the most notorious, known for its truly craptastic picayune dvd burner). None of these machines were meant to survive more than four years at the outside. The fact that you have an XS-35 that was still functional until just recently is pretty amazing: their durability track record is dismal.

I love DVD/HDD recorders, and still use mine every day for both VHS conversion and TV recording. But at this late date, one has to be brutally realistic and honest: most of them were poorly engineered garbage. The Toshiba XS series was the textbook example of this. On paper, they're amazing units: the best recording quality and most extensive feature set (by far) of any consumer video decks ever sold. Unfortunately, Toshiba stuck them with unbelievably defective burners and hard drives.

Nonetheless, the XS series was very popular with videophiles because the PQ was superb (whenever they actually worked). So for several years, the number one topic of forums like this was "how can I replace/repair my Toshiba XS burner?" For a time, it was possible to trick some of the XS models into accepting a standard generic LG or HP dvd drive, but that time is past and those particular PC burners are long since gone. Today, once a Toshiba XS starts giving you burning errors, it needs to be discarded- repairs are no longer practical (unless you can find one of those rare old burners it will accept, and can tolerate lost functions).

About the only "cure" you can try (if you haven't already) is to buy some JVC/TY Premium Silver Lacquer 8x-speed DVD-R blanks. This is the precise Japanese blank media your Toshiba XS-35 was based on. Usually, when a recorder starts acting up, switching to these premium, "slow" blanks will get them burning again. But no guarantees: it may be too late, or the recorder will still die sooner rather than later. Also, the mfr of these blanks went out of business two years ago so "new old stock" is rapidly dwindling at web dealers. The "TY" discs are now being made by CMC Magnetics, not nearly as well as the original TY-run factories.

One way or another, you'll eventually need to migrate away from DVD recorders. Look into PC capture options for VHS, like Hauppauge USB Live 2, EZcap or I-O Data GV-USB2. Your XS-35 will still be useful as a pass-thru signal processor, connected between VCR and USB video device. For TV recording, consider iView, Homeworx, or a second-hand TiVO (all of which can offload recordings to your PC for permanent HDD storage or burning discs).

If you really cannot abide moving to a PC workflow, your only realistic option in a new DVD/HDD recorder is the current Magnavox lineup. The feature set is bare bones compared to a Toshiba XS or PC, and recording quality from VHS is not as good. But being current designs, the Magnavox burners will function reliably with any blank media. They are far less picky about blanks than any "premium" older Toshiba, Panasonic or Pioneer you could buy second hand. Personally, I would go the PC route: the Magnavox is pricey for what it is, and not all that great compared to the classic recorder you're used to.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-25-2016, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post
If you are getting Error 14 with every blank you try, the burner is probably dying, but to be sure you'd need to try different brands and types. That can be difficult today, since 9 out of 10 brands are really made by just two companies. Even the once-invincible Verbatim DataLife Plus 8x DVD-R and TY/JVC have developed compatibility issues the past few years.

Exactly which blank Verbatims are you using? The version sold most commonly in stores and on Amazon is rated for 16x speed and not actually made by Verbatim: the orange/purple packaging needs to have the word or symbol "AZO" on it somewhere, or the discs are just generic junk that doesn't work well in recorders. Verbatim recently began backing away from "Genuine AZO" at retail: most of the spindles I see in stores "look" like the old AZO packaging but aren't labeled AZO (and identify as Ritek or some such when loaded in a PC). Like every other brand, production of most "Verbatim" media is now subcontracted to lesser mfrs.

People don't like hearing this, but DVD recorders are beyond dead and buried as a viable consumer product. The last really good ones designed for North America were discontinued nearly ten years ago, and those were already buggy and picky about blanks to begin with (your Toshiba XS-35 being one of the most notorious, known for its truly craptastic picayune dvd burner). None of these machines were meant to survive more than four years at the outside. The fact that you have an XS-35 that was still functional until just recently is pretty amazing: their durability track record is dismal.

I love DVD/HDD recorders, and still use mine every day for both VHS conversion and TV recording. But at this late date, one has to be brutally realistic and honest: most of them were poorly engineered garbage. The Toshiba XS series was the textbook example of this. On paper, they're amazing units: the best recording quality and most extensive feature set (by far) of any consumer video decks ever sold. Unfortunately, Toshiba stuck them with unbelievably defective burners and hard drives.

Nonetheless, the XS series was very popular with videophiles because the PQ was superb (whenever they actually worked). So for several years, the number one topic of forums like this was "how can I replace/repair my Toshiba XS burner?" For a time, it was possible to trick some of the XS models into accepting a standard generic LG or HP dvd drive, but that time is past and those particular PC burners are long since gone. Today, once a Toshiba XS starts giving you burning errors, it needs to be discarded- repairs are no longer practical (unless you can find one of those rare old burners it will accept, and can tolerate lost functions).

About the only "cure" you can try (if you haven't already) is to buy some JVC/TY Premium Silver Lacquer 8x-speed DVD-R blanks. This is the precise Japanese blank media your Toshiba XS-35 was based on. Usually, when a recorder starts acting up, switching to these premium, "slow" blanks will get them burning again. But no guarantees: it may be too late, or the recorder will still die sooner rather than later. Also, the mfr of these blanks went out of business two years ago so "new old stock" is rapidly dwindling at web dealers. The "TY" discs are now being made by CMC Magnetics, not nearly as well as the original TY-run factories.

One way or another, you'll eventually need to migrate away from DVD recorders. Look into PC capture options for VHS, like Hauppauge USB Live 2, EZcap or I-O Data GV-USB2. Your XS-35 will still be useful as a pass-thru signal processor, connected between VCR and USB video device. For TV recording, consider iView, Homeworx, or a second-hand TiVO (all of which can offload recordings to your PC for permanent HDD storage or burning discs).

If you really cannot abide moving to a PC workflow, your only realistic option in a new DVD/HDD recorder is the current Magnavox lineup. The feature set is bare bones compared to a Toshiba XS or PC, and recording quality from VHS is not as good. But being current designs, the Magnavox burners will function reliably with any blank media. They are far less picky about blanks than any "premium" older Toshiba, Panasonic or Pioneer you could buy second hand. Personally, I would go the PC route: the Magnavox is pricey for what it is, and not all that great compared to the classic recorder you're used to.
It is now becoming more and more clear to me that the Toshiba is done for. I ordered a package of those JVC/TY discs, and when I put them in it won't even recognize that a blank disc has been loaded.

I think I get the idea of how I can convert my remaining VHS tapes via my PC if I install the right programs, but I am bewildered as to how people are expected to record anything off the TV anymore. I know DVRs are the thing that have phased VCRs out of existence, but DVRs don't have a disc drive that allows the user to save a copy and with the way things are laid out in my home it isn't practical for me to have my PC permanently connected to my cable box.

I've been archiving sporting events for decades now and I feel that I have now reached a crossroads. The way technology has made it nearly impossible to save a recording of anything anymore, the writing on the wall suggests that I have no choice but to simply give up this hobby. So disheartening to realize how recordable DVDs are going the way of the dinosaur.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-26-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK_ND View Post
. . . I am bewildered as to how people are expected to record anything off the TV anymore. I know DVRs are the thing that have phased VCRs out of existence, but DVRs don't have a disc drive that allows the user to save a copy . . . The way technology has made it nearly impossible to save a recording of anything anymore, the writing on the wall suggests that I have no choice but to simply give up this hobby. So disheartening to realize how recordable DVDs are going the way of the dinosaur.
Your statement above suggests you are not aware of currently available DVD recorders -- the Magnavox 86x series are available with 1 or 2 tuners, record in HD for HD playback from the unit and have burners for burning content to DVD-R in SD video. They have a thread here.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 13 Old 03-18-2017, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

I finally bought the Magnavox MDR867H and have figured out most of the basic features, but unfortunately I got a few Big Ten tournament games recorded that are flagged as "only move". When I try to burn a copy to disc I get the following error message : "this title is not recordable on this video format disc".

So I was thinking of a possible way around it...

The HDD still works on my Toshiba, just the disc drive/burner that is failing me. My idea is to run cables out of the Magnavox and into the Toshiba, playback the entire in game off the Magnavox and record to the HDD of the Toshiba, then reverse the cables so they go out of the Toshiba and into the Magnavox, playback the entire game again this time off the Toshiba and record back to the HDD of the Magnavox. I would then have another version on the Magnavox, but it would be recorded from the Toshiba rather than the BTN broadcast which hopefully would allow me to burn a copy to disc.

Does anybody here have any idea if this would work?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Too bad your Tosh doesn't have a working DVD drive since there are "filters" you could use to get a DVD copy on another recorder, as described here.

You could try the method you described but the copy protection will likely go with the copies back and forth?

Since the 867 can copy/dub to an external USB HDD or flash drive, you might use that to get the title(s) onto a more "convenient" device for working on them with whatever components you have or could get for this project, like a PC?
post #7 of 13 Old 03-18-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I agree with the video filter and also suspect the CP signal will follow the program, even if copying to the Tosh and then back. If the OP had a filter(~$90 for a good Grex from Amazon) and a simple cheap line-input DVDR, they could play the title on the Mag, feed the line output through the video filter and finally run the output of the video filter to the line-input DVDR where it would be recorded to DVD.
A relatively easy thing to do if you have multiple DVDRs and a video filter but probably somewhat expensive for a one time copy. Also note doing it the way the OP is suggesting would result in 2 re-encodes which will probably degrade the picture to an unacceptable level, although I suppose they could set the Tosh to it's fastest speed which should at least make that re-encode not very noticeable, still don't think it would remove the CP though.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-18-2017, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I agree with the video filter and also suspect the CP signal will follow the program, even if copying to the Tosh and then back. If the OP had a filter(~$90 for a good Grex from Amazon) and a simple cheap line-input DVDR, they could play the title on the Mag, feed the line output through the video filter and finally run the output of the video filter to the line-input DVDR where it would be recorded to DVD.
A relatively easy thing to do if you have multiple DVDRs and a video filter but probably somewhat expensive for a one time copy. Also note doing it the way the OP is suggesting would result in 2 re-encodes which will probably degrade the picture to an unacceptable level, although I suppose they could set the Tosh to it's fastest speed which should at least make that re-encode not very noticeable, still don't think it would remove the CP though.
I actually do have a grex video stabilizer, I just inadvertently forgot that step when reconnecting everything after I swapped out the Toshiba for my new Magnavox. I now have it set up to run my cables out of my cable box and through the grex before going into the Magnavox. But in exactly what context are you suggesting I could use the grex to make DVD copies of my now copy-protected hockey games?
post #9 of 13 Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Ideally you'd play the games from the HDD of your Magnavox, routing it's line output through your Grex and then to the line input of another DVDR, a simple cheap line input model would suffice, then you'd have a nice clean DVD with only one generation loss. I guess if you didn't want to purchase another DVDR you could do as you suggested, instead of using the line input DVDR just record to the HDD of your Toshiba. Using the best 1hr speed record on it's HDD. After that run the line output of your Toshiba directly to your Magnavoxes line input and record on the Magnavox(either directly to DVD or to the Mags HDD where you could later HS burn to DVD). Note to reduce losses you wouldn't need your Grex when you went from your Toshiba to Magnavox because the Grex would have already removed the CP going to the Toshiba. And because the Toshiba makes such excellent recordings, your main loss will be your Magnavox reencoding the signal when it comes back from the Toshiba.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-18-2017, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Ideally you'd play the games from the HDD of your Magnavox, routing it's line output through your Grex and then to the line input of another DVDR, a simple cheap line input model would suffice, then you'd have a nice clean DVD with only one generation loss. I guess if you didn't want to purchase another DVDR you could do as you suggested, instead of using the line input DVDR just record to the HDD of your Toshiba. Using the best 1hr speed record on it's HDD. After that run the line output of your Toshiba directly to your Magnavoxes line input and record on the Magnavox(either directly to DVD or to the Mags HDD where you could later HS burn to DVD). Note to reduce losses you wouldn't need your Grex when you went from your Toshiba to Magnavox because the Grex would have already removed the CP going to the Toshiba. And because the Toshiba makes such excellent recordings, your main loss will be your Magnavox reencoding the signal when it comes back from the Toshiba.
Excellent!!! Thank you for the advice/information.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-19-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 903
Hi your RD-XS35 unit is repairable ........ sent you a PM for contact info.

MickinCT
post #12 of 13 Old 07-05-2017, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Toshiba Stand Alone problems

I have 5 of these things!

3 RD-KX 50 - the best of the bunch
RD-XS-32
RD-XS-35
None of these will burn to dvds anymore. I used to be able to unplug them, plug back in and get a few days out of them, but not any more. Can I get after market burners for these, or somehow record to an external device? Very disheartening.

Thanks, Doug
post #13 of 13 Old 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug877 View Post
I have 5 of these things!

3 RD-KX 50 - the best of the bunch
RD-XS-32
RD-XS-35
None of these will burn to dvds anymore. I used to be able to unplug them, plug back in and get a few days out of them, but not any more. Can I get after market burners for these, or somehow record to an external device? Very disheartening.

Thanks, Doug

You must do a hell of a lot of burning! Never seen the burner on a RD-KX50 fail. For the RD-XS35 you need proprietary burners, which you are unlikely to find around any more. For the RD-XS32, do a search on this forum for replacement PC burners, which extend the life of these units indefinitely, except the burners may be hard to find now. They are circa 2002-2006. You could get them on Ebay for $12-20 each.

As I am finding out now, Magnavox has crappy parts supply network for models that are only a few years old (forget it for the Maggie 2160A). Since I have a stockpile of Toshiba recorders and parts, I am considering phasing out the newer Maggie units. They are a pain to edit on, the remotes are balky and unresponsive, and image quality is not as good and you can't tweak it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page