AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVDR and a S-VHS recorder- Best hookup/same TV?

924 views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  videojanitor 
#1 ·
I want to enable both to record the same program this fall at the same time. What is the best way to hook this up for optimum PQ? I hope this is the right forum. I think it is relevant because so many now are buying DVDR's but want their SVHS recordings and playback on the same TV. Also assume many outputs and inputs on new model TV. Links welcome.

#3 ·
cable box which I bet is the majority at least in the USA. Thanks for pointing that out. It is critical.

#5 ·
component out but the cables are going to the TV HD inputs(however I would also appreciate a same cable box component analysis for another TV without HD), s-video(1), composite video in/out, optical out(SPDF) coaxial out(SPDF), composite audio out/in,RF. Thanks

#6 ·
I gotta admit, you've got me a bit confused now. I can't really tell from your last post what ins/outs are on the cable box and what's on the TV. So, for the sake of clarity, please give me a list of just the OUTPUTS on the cable box, other than the component output which you said is already in use.

--Bill R.

#7 ·
VJ - here are the outs only, sorry( why in the freak would you have ins anyway on a cable box?, but they are there.)

component out but the cables are going to the TV HD inputs(however I would also appreciate a same cable box component analysis for another TV without HD), s-video out(1), composite video out, optical out(SPDF) coaxial out(SPDF), composite audio out/,RF. Thanks

#8 ·
Quote:
why in the freak would you have ins anyway on a cable box?,
PMFJI, Perhaps to up-convert a video source's composite output to component/s-video. You feed it into your cable box and it gets fed to your tv as component or s-video. Also helps if your tv has only one or two video inputs.

Vic

#9 ·
HoustonGuy ...

Well based on what you've told me, I'd hook it up like this:

Take the S-Video and L/R audio outs and feed them into your DVD Recorder. The take the composite video out and L/R/ audio and feed them into your S-VHS machine. Yes, you will lose the advantage of S-Video, but given the "not-so-great" quality of cable signals, I don't think it will matter much, and it greatly simplifies the hookup. Plus, you probably want the best signal going to the DVD recorder.

Note that if the cable box on has ONE set of L/R audio outputs, you can simply put a "Y" splitter on each to obtain two. Can't do this with VIDEO though -- only audio.

Does this answer your question? --Bill R.

#10 ·
vj- I neglected to tell you I have a receiver involved here. How would that change the audio hook ups?

#11 ·
If you just need another audio output from the cable box, you can split it again -- typically with consumer stuff, you can "bridge" an audio source among many inputs without any problems (I've got the audio out of my satellite system going into SEVEN different devices, with no ill effects).

--Bill R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.