Using Magnavox DVR with Comcast DTA - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Using Magnavox DVR with Comcast DTA

I have been using a Magnavox MDR515H DVR with my basic Comcast TV service for a number of years since. I can only record the single station selected by the DTA but thats OK with me. I decided to buy another Magnavox DVR for another room and bought the MDR867H. However, I cannot get it to receive the signal from the DTA, The DTA can be set for CH 3 or 4 but the new DVR cannot see it.
The older DVR has an ATSC/NTSC digital tuner. The newer one has 2 digital tuners described as "channel frequency synthesized tuning". Is that the reason it will not work. Do I need a NTSC tuner to work with the cable DTA.
Thanks for any insight into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by captme View Post
I have been using a Magnavox MDR515H DVR with my basic Comcast TV service for a number of years since. I can only record the single station selected by the DTA but thats OK with me. I decided to buy another Magnavox DVR for another room and bought the MDR867H. However, I cannot get it to receive the signal from the DTA, The DTA can be set for CH 3 or 4 but the new DVR cannot see it.
The older DVR has an ATSC/NTSC digital tuner. The newer one has 2 digital tuners described as "channel frequency synthesized tuning". Is that the reason it will not work. Do I need a NTSC tuner to work with the cable DTA.
Thanks for any insight into this.
Yes that would be the case, if the 867 does not have a analog or NTSC tuner it will not tune the output of your DTA. Either you need a STB that has composite output or an older Magnavox that has the analog tuner, DTAs only have the analog NTSC channel 3/4 output
post #3 of 7 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 94
jjeff is correct, no analog tuning of any kind on the new Magnavox units.

You can solve this problem cheaply by connecting a compact VCR between the DTA and your new Magnavox. The wiring would be DTA>VCR, with VCR tuned to the DTA output channel, and line outputs of the VCR connected to line inputs of your new Magnavox. Leave the VCR powered on permanently, and it will function as bridge between DTA and new Magnavox.

The recording quality will be slightly worse than what you get with DTA connected directly to the tuner of your old Magnavox, but these DTAs aren't great to begin with anyway: if you were happy before, you'll probably be happy with the VCR crutch as well.

Unfortunately, there are few (if any) "reverse RF modulators" available to the public as tiny accessories. One can buy a very small cheap box that converts line outputs to channel 3/4, but going the other direction (ch 3/4 to line outputs) is generally best done with a VCR. A small VCR is easily found for $20 or less on Craigs List, or just ask around: odds are, someone you know has an old VCR they don't need.

post #4 of 7 Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you jjeff and Citibear for your responses.
Great idea about using the VCR. I had an old VCR where the new Magnavox went so I will keep it for that purpose. I was ready to return the new Magnavox before I saw your reply.
Great forum and support. Thanks again.
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

jjeff or Citybear,
I was not able to get the new Magnavox dvr to work with my old VCR between the DTA and the DVR. How should it be connected?
1) DTA out coax to VCR ANT IN,
2a) VCR Ant out coax to DVR Ant IN.....or 2b) do I connect the r/w/y RCA from VCR out to DVR in??
3a) DVR hdmi out to TV HDMI1 (or HDMI2) or 3b) DVR ANT out to TV ant?
TV is a Samsung.
DTA is set to CH3. VCR set to CH3. Do I set DVR to ANT or digital channel search. Neither has found a channel on either option. I do see the DVR set up menu on the TV though.
Can you please help me out on the right configuration for using the VCR as an interface from the DTA to the Magnavox DVR.
I have confirmed I am getting valid picture out of VCR by going straight to the TV, but cannot get this signal into and out of the DVR.
Thanks.
Many thanks.
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Yes your 1, 2b and 3a.
DTA RF out to VCR ant. IN.
VCR line out(yellow, red & white) to Magnavox's line input.
Select line input on your Magnavox and on your TV select your Magnavox's output.
On your VCR select channel 3.
You should now see your DTA on your TV and you could also record on your Magnavox.
Again anytime to set up a recording on your Magnavox(if your recording from your DTA) select line input on your Magnavox(of course select the line input you've hooked your VCR to, the Magnavox probably has at least 2 sets of line inputs).

Last edited by jjeff; Today at 05:30 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you jjeff,
got it working at last.
Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)