Battle of -R & +R DVDR are Similar to Beta vs VHS-Link to prove it.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-21-2003, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back in 1975-76 it was Sony vs Panasonic and JVC. Now sides are somewhat switched. It makes for a great storied history in the recording of television programs.(which is exactly why most of us are now buying DVDR's. After we archive the VHS and Beta!) This link should be of great interest to anyone on this board. It is still the same battle only digitally today. I would like your comments if admin will allow.
http://www.geocities.com/videoholic2000/Tidbits.htm

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-22-2003, 12:13 PM

I think there is one difference though. DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs can both be played on most DVD players. John Doe's DVD-R machine records a DVD-R and plays in his other DVD player. His brother Bob has a DVD+R machine and a disc recorded on that also plays in John's deck. then lets say either DVD-R or DVD+R wins. Both John and Bob have a stack of discs that are still just fine to play in almost all DVD players.

Shivers huh? Well that's the first sign of Malaria. But Don't worry about it. - Gamera vs. Barugon

Why me? Why me all the time? -Eric Von Zipper
post #3 of 6 Old 07-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

If you really want to compare, then you have to compare re-writable formats. And then you've got a pretty good analogy. DVD-RAM is far superior to either RW mode. And it is the early leader, given Panasonic's adopting that format and taking the early lead in the stand alone recorder business. Beta was far superior.

I suspect the release of the multi-recorder based machines, as Sony's new release of a stand alone recorder, will probably do RAM in. However, there is one joker in this whole game. Some time in the near future someone is going to release a HdTV compatible DVD recorder. And that will be the model which ultimately prospers and wins.

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
post #4 of 6 Old 07-23-2003, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suspect the release of the multi-recorder based machines, as Sony's new release of a stand alone recorder, will probably do RAM in.
Doubtful, considering Sony's recorder costs at least $100 more than the Panasonic E80 and doesn't even have a hard drive. Also, it appears to have crippled functionality re: DVD+RW, doesn't do DVD+R at all, and there's anecdotal evidence of reliability issues similar to Philips' 985.

DVD-RAM is gaining a foothold primarily because Panasonic is slowly but surely evolving their recorder into a decent priced, consumer friendly and functionally superior product compared to the competition. There will probably not be any winners or losers in the format wars, per se. That is, we will probably not see the demise of any particular write once or rewriteable format for awhile as a result of multi-function burners and cross format compatibility (including eventually DVD-RAM or wider adoption of the DVD-VR recording format recognition) among players.

Iomega is getting ready to release a do-everthing DVD burner (including DVD-RAM) and Toshiba's latest Multimedia Center Laptop PC includes a DVD-RAM/R burner. That coupled with the popularity of the Panny standalone DVDR decks indicates DVD-RAM is not going away anytime soon.

Vic

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #5 of 6 Old 07-23-2003, 04:34 AM

Being that the diference is in the software, not hardware, this is not at all similar to Beta vs VHS. Manufacturers would have had to make a dual drive VCR to play both formats. A complicated and very expensive product.

There is no question Panasonic has a leg up on the competition with their full featured recorders. Their E80 is the best standalone recorder selling for under $600.00 that includes an 80 gb drive, flexible recording, high speed dubbing and progressive scan. Can't ask for much more.

I wouldn't be to concerned about RAM not playing on many current DVD players. RAM is a much better re-writeable format than - or + RW and Panasonic makes several players that play RAM for as low as $99.00. With the HDD recorder I find myself no using RAM as much as I did before.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-23-2003, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just remember to hold onto one or two of the losing machines; I've recently sold one of my beta decks on eBay for two grand. And as soon as I complete dubbing the rest of my beta tapes onto DVD-R, I will sell my other machine, which will probably bring in more than the first. :)

Hroeder quotes: "I suspect the release of the multi-recorder based machines, as Sony's new release of a stand alone recorder, will probably do RAM in. "

Reply: A lot of us who use Ram on a daily basis would probably not agree with you.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page