Copying VHS originals to the E80, how? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-31-2003, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I already posted this question in another thread, but since it was slightly off topic I figured I would start a new thread dealing specifically with this issue. I purchased my E80 about 2 weeks ago and for the most part I love it, but unfortunately I was totally unaware that it wouldn't allow me to make DVD backups of my existing VHS collection of original (copy protected, duh) movies. I guess that since for years I have always been able to dub copy-protected tapes using my "Go-Video" dual deck VCR without any problems whatsoever, I just assumed that I would be able to archive them to DVD with no problem. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. My question (and I hope its OK to ask this), is there any advice that you can give me on how to accomplish this with the E80? I know that there is no way to prove it, but I assure you that I only want to do this for my own collecting purposes and I am not looking to make any kind of profit whatsoever (I can think of much cooler things to get in trouble for). Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-31-2003, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Radio shack has a small box that removes the macrovision protection. Just run your cable through this box and to your dvd recorder. They usually cost around $20-$30
post #3 of 16 Old 07-31-2003, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

See "DEFEATING COPYGUARD when burning DVDs:".

"Plasma TV ... so called because in order to afford one, you're going to have to sell your blood." -- Ed Helms, The Daily Show.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-31-2003, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Radio shack has a small box that removes the macrovision protection. Just run your cable through this box and to your dvd recorder. They usually cost around $20-$30
Generally, these will not work with the Panasonic recorders if the source video has CGMS protection (which is not removed by a macrovision filter) or if the macrovision signal is not completely stripped away. The Panasonic recorders have a pretty robust copy protection system and unless you remove both macrovision and CGMS, you will not be successful at backing up your tape collection. See xortam's thread link above and search the forums on the term CGMS to get an idea of how others have dealt with this issue. Good luck.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #5 of 16 Old 08-01-2003, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by vferrari
Generally, these will not work with the Panasonic recorders if the source video has CGMS protection (which is not removed by a macrovision filter) or if the macrovision signal is not completely stripped away. The Panasonic recorders have a pretty robust copy protection system and unless you remove both macrovision and CGMS, you will not be successful at backing up your tape collection. See xortam's thread link above and search the forums on the term CGMS to get an idea of how others have dealt with this issue. Good luck.
Thanks, I checked out that other thread prior to starting this one, but it seemed to me that the majority of the people on that thread are interested in recording DVD-DVD. I am mainly interested in going from VHS-DVD. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that VHS tapes do not have CGMS protection on them. Therefore I thought I just had to worry about defeating macrovision in order to back-up my VHS collection. Of course the ultimate solution would be an affordable device that takes care of both CGMS and macrovision, but I'll settle for one right now. The problem is that I am reading so many conflicting reports about each device discussed that I am very hesitant to make a purchase. I guess I am just looking for someone who owns an E80 (or even one of the other panny dvd recorder models) and who has had success copying some original (protected) VHS tapes to DVD to report what device they used specifically.

I would also like to say that I realize that this is somewhat of a taboo topic because it can be perceived as breaking the law, and I certainly am not a legal expert by any means. However, I strongly feel that when I spend my hard earned money on the original VHS tapes such as the Star Wars Trilogy, those tapes then become my property to do with whatever I want as long as it is solely for personal use. Therefore Panasonic or any other manufacturer should not put these absurd limitations on their products (which cost us quite a bit more of our hard earned money) just because some individuals MIGHT choose to break the law. If anything, the laws should be stricter and better enforced, but law abiding people should not suffer because of what some others MIGHT do. Whats next, maybe since some people may decide to grow an illegal substance, we should spray chemicals on everyone's land so they can't garden, or since some people use their hands to hurt & kill people, perhaps everyone's hands should be removed at birth? I know that these are extreme examples that I am using to make my point. All I am saying that if manufacturers feel they have the right to put these limitations on their equipment because of pressure from the motion picture industry, which in turn effects them financially, then I certainly have the right to disable these limitations once I use my somewhat limited funds to purchase these products and they become my personal property.

Sorry for the long post, but I feel better now. I certainly would feel even more wonderful if I could just use all this expensive equipment I purchased to back-up my stinking expensive video collection!!!
post #6 of 16 Old 08-01-2003, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I went over to google last night after being over here to see what's available these days.On the search line all you have to do is put-

dvd copyguard

presto.

:)
Mark
post #7 of 16 Old 08-03-2003, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
With my Phillips 985....if I input prerecorded DVD material using svhs into my Sony camcorder...and output a firewire signal to my 985...everything is passed without error.

A trick...but a damn clever one:)

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #8 of 16 Old 08-08-2003, 09:35 PM

If you want to make backup copies of DVD's or VHS tapes you own, check out the Video Filter at http:/home.fl.rr.com/filter
post #9 of 16 Old 08-10-2003, 05:44 PM

if you have av out on your tv you can copy vhs or dvd to your recorder
with these connections.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-10-2003, 06:24 PM
MGK

Correction to Video Filter's URL:

home.cfl.rr.com/filter/
post #11 of 16 Old 08-11-2003, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pargon44
with these connections.
Nope, tried that with my Sony set. The Macrovision passes right through.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally posted by pargon44
with these connections.
Won't work for me either. I have never been in the market to buy a decoder of any kind, but I really feel I should be able to copy a tape I paid for before it completly fades away. But I'm not sure any of the decoders available really work to copy a tape to a DVD.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-11-2003, 02:41 PM

I am still waiting for stock on an $89 filter from facetvideo.com that will supposedly fix my copying to E60 woes.
They say stock should be replenished tomorrow.
I will post after I test.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

The broadcast quality Sony MPU-F100 time base corrector is the only unit I've seen that works on truly tough macrovision (the kind you find on cbs-fox or key video tapes). Most of the cheap units under $150 always allow some macrovision to bleed through, and the E20, E50, HS2 and E80 will snoop this out like a hounddog, and stop your recording asap. Of course, the Sony (used) costs nearly twice as much as an E80, so you have to factor that into your buying considerations, i.e., how desperately do you want to backup a tape.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-11-2003, 05:46 PM

I cant believe there isn't a cheaper fix for VHS tapes that were manufactured for the most part over 10 years ago when people barely had CD's and no one but sceintists even knew what a DVD was.
I am trying to copy VHS tapes from the 80's which is even longer ago.

To me quality is not a major issue cause I just want to make backups the kids can watch in the car or in portable DVD players so I had a quick thought. What if I copy the VHS to another VHS and remove the MAcro that way than use the 1st generation to go to DVD-R.

Well I just tried it and had no luck but I think the culprit was the $29 Radio Shack modulator which is supposed to remove Macro. Well it doesent work. The copy tape wont even play in another VHS.

Maybe I can try a real black box that is made for VHS copying that does remove Macro and then try to use that VHS for input to Panny DVD-R

Anybody try this yet?
post #16 of 16 Old 08-25-2003, 04:30 PM

got a cheap $24 black box and was able to copy commercial VHS that used to be blocked by my E60 with no problems so far on my 3rd tape.
I know this will not work for DVD, (although I didn't try) I will get an Apex with an SVHS out for that route. Here is the site
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/dvdvidstab.html
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page