DMR-E80 Weird Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-05-2003, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I began noticing a gradual loss of sensitivity with the remote control, which finally grew to epic proportions. Before smashing it against a wall, I tried various brands of batteries, repositioned the E-80, and finally re-soldered various joints on the remote's circuit board; nothing worked.

I borrowed another remote, which also acted poorly (getting a function to work was hit or miss), which led me to get another E-80. This one works great so far. :)

Anyone else encounter this problem? :confused:

Peter M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-05-2003, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hope this isn't a common problem w/the E80. So far, no problems, but I've only used mine about 20 hours.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 17 Old 08-05-2003, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Funny that this should come up. I put my e80 directly on top of my hs2, and set up the remote codes so that each remote will only transmit to its own unit. When I give a command to one unit, the display on the other always responds by having the display get brighter with a "remote command" message. When I tell the e80 to go to the "function" mode for example, I can see that the remote is indeed transmitting by watching the hs2's display. Both units seem to require a long pause between certain functions and while processing a function effectively will ignore the next command until it is darn good and ready. Commands seem not to get stacked in any kind of buffer or queue. The faster we expect things to go, we longer we have to wait ...:rolleyes:

Mark W.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-07-2003, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I have two E-80's and have not experienced this after burning 50-75 discs a least.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-07-2003, 08:34 AM

I have had the h80 for 2 weeks, made 30 dvd's no problem with the remote!

Sometimes "NOTHING" is a real COOL HAND!
post #6 of 17 Old 08-08-2003, 10:08 AM

I have also noticed that the E80 remote is not very good. My fingertips are sore from pushing the buttons hard enough to register. I was aiming the remote directly at the machine and had to press the buttons very precisely for them to take effect. I mostly have noticed this with the skip forward/backward keys and the marker key. It seems to have gotten worse in the last week of ownership. I especially do not like the rocker-type buttons for the FF/REW and Forward/Backward buttons.

Quote:
Originally posted by videonut
I began noticing a gradual loss of sensitivity with the remote control, which finally grew to epic proportions. Before smashing it against a wall, I tried various brands of batteries, repositioned the E-80, and finally re-soldered various joints on the remote's circuit board; nothing worked.

I borrowed another remote, which also acted poorly (getting a function to work was hit or miss), which led me to get another E-80. This one works great so far. :)

Anyone else encounter this problem? :confused:

Peter M
post #7 of 17 Old 08-08-2003, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, that sounds similar to my original problem, but in my case the remote wasn't at fault (as I first suspected), it was the player.

So far my replacement player is working fine, but we'll see what the future brings.

Peter M
post #8 of 17 Old 08-08-2003, 03:23 PM

I 'am having this problem, I must hold the remote within a foot of the recorder to operate the unit. I am contacting Panasonic since the unit is less than 2 months old.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-09-2003, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, boy, here we go. I sure hope this isn't becoming a trend with the E-80. :(

Peter M
post #10 of 17 Old 08-10-2003, 04:33 PM

So you ultimately discovered that the unit itself was defective instead of the remote? That sucks, I was figuring that if the remote crapped out, I could always get a universal remote to replace it. Now I may have to consider exchanging the whole recorder since I just got it last week. I did not notice the problem right out of the box, but only after a few days use. I hate to return a unit that (other than the remote) is working so well, I am always scared I'll trade in a good one for a bad one.

Just to clarify, the other remotes you tried .. were they also E80 remotes, or some other type of remote?

Quote:
Originally posted by videonut
Wow, that sounds similar to my original problem, but in my case the remote wasn't at fault (as I first suspected), it was the player.

So far my replacement player is working fine, but we'll see what the future brings.

Peter M
post #11 of 17 Old 08-11-2003, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I shared all of your reservations regarding the exchange of an E-80 that was functioning quite well (other than the problem with the remote).

But in reality, struggling to enter titles and other important settings is just as bad as dealing with other types of problems that may plague a particular machine.

When I brought home the replacement machine, I first tried its remote with the problematic E-80 and experienced the same problem. And after hooking up the replacement machine, I'd tried both remotes; both worked perfectly well with the new machine.

I know it's a hassle, but you should switch the unit while you still can. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this thread stops growing.

Best Of Luck,
Peter M
post #12 of 17 Old 08-11-2003, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

kman007 commented:
> I especially do not like the rocker-type buttons for the FF/REW and Forward/Backward buttons. <

I agree that these were very poor choices for rocker-style buttons. Also that there's extremely poor tactile feedback when using them. An unfortunate step backwards, in the name of visual styling.

- Tim

- Tim
post #13 of 17 Old 08-12-2003, 05:42 AM

I have an E-60 and am wondering if there is a problem with it similar to the problems described here. I notice that I must point my remote almost directly at the unit for it to work. Most of my devices work if the remote is pointed in the general direction of the unit, a 45 degree error in pointing is no big deal. But for the E-60 I must have the remote pointing within about 20 degrees of the unit for it to accept the command. I am usually about 10 ft from the unit. Does that sound the same as other peoples experiences or does mine sound a too restrictive?

Thanks.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-13-2003, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you're able to control all the features from ten feet away, then your problem (if there is a problem) is unlike mine. My machine worked great for the first few days, but then the remote progressively lost sensitivity. In the end some commands wouldn't work from a foot away.

It sounds as if your remote is more directional than some. If you have a universal remote lying around, it would be interesting to see if it's less directional than the factory remote.

Peter M
post #15 of 17 Old 08-13-2003, 06:41 PM

More feedback,

I have 2 machines -2 and 5 weeks old and have had no problems. I've noticed that the machines take their time performing certain functions and you can press the remote repeatedly to no avail if the machine isn't ready to perform the command.Yet I just turned the machines on and off from 30 feet away as a test and had no problem with either.

Tbill

Tbill
post #16 of 17 Old 08-15-2003, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

I also have 2 E80s with no problems. I use only 2 remotes, 1 for the E80s, and another one for the old E30 and HS2.

I found the new remote button placements annoying. The HS2 even for the silly cover is way better than the new ones and easier on the hands. And I don't accidentally press the rec. button as it is not on my palm.

I actually like the directionality of the remotes, as I don't want one unit interrupted (like hitting the pause) while using the same remote to control another unit on the other side of the tv.

I envision my setup would have 6 units available to me for recording shows simultaneously (more if they can up the remote codes to 4 or 5).

Justin
post #17 of 17 Old 08-17-2003, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So far my replacement machine is working properly (burned sixty discs); the remote is very responsive and not too directional. Entering titles is now much less tedious.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page