questions on ff12r 985 (A03) new modes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2003, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a 985 with ff12r firmware, and have read some good reviews of the new SP+ mode (2.5hrs).

I'm curious if the new modes or any non SP modes (I've been using 2 hr. SP mode almost exclusively, and am happy with it), have any decreased compatibility in other dvd players?

Any comments on EP mode (4hrs) in general, or the new EP+ (6 hrs!) ??

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 10:33 AM

As to compatibility with other players, the DVD+R/+RW format is the most compatible there is. I also record to DVD-R/-RW, and have a total of six DVD players, only the Pioneer which creates the DVD-R/-RW can play back those recorded in excess of 2 hours, although all players can play back DVD+R/+RW discs recorded at any speed.

In my own experience (I've recorded well over 400 discs using both formats), recording in excess of 3-1/2 hours yields poor video results. Six hour recordings are worse than standard VHS tapes, and 4 hours recordings are not much better. I run the progressive output of the DVD players through a scaler for 1080i going into an HDTV. Even going straight SVHS to SVHS looks really poor at "extended" play speeds.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks dr john for the good info. i'll keep that compatibility info in mind, and will let you know if i end up trying an EP 4 hr test disc on the 985.

on your other topic, I've had HDTV and progressive scan players for a few years, and although this will sound odd, a very good non-progressive scan, component output dvd player (e.g. panasaonic a-7), can look qualitatively better than the component outs of an early first gen progressive scan dvd player (e.g. toshiba 5109), IF the tv has a good line doubler.

Of course the 5109 had some now known issues, but you may want to try both outputs if your set's line doubling is exceptionally good.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drjohnc
As to compatibility with other players, the DVD+R/+RW format is the most compatible there is.
Apparently not.

The thing I love most about deadlines is the wonderful WHOOSHing sound they make as they go past.