Panasonic DMR-E80 and Mini-DV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2003, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone who has transferred from Mini-DV camcorder to the Panny E-80 comment on the results.

The main reason I am holding off to purchase is that there is no Firewire for digital to digital conversion.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-08-2003, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I don't have any direct experience here, but I should mention that you CAN'T get lossless transfer from Mini-DV to DVD, even with Firewire. While they are both digital encodings, they are different. Mini-DV records at a much greater Mbps rate. I believe Mini-DV does NOT use an MPEG-based encoding scheme, so does not compress the video as much.. At the very least, a re-encode will be needed when transfering to DVD. I'm not sure if such an analog-less transfer can even be done on DVD-recorders with Firewire. I suspect the Firewire is used merely for synchronizing control of the camera and recorder, with the actual video signal transferred via s-video...

To get a true all-digital transfer, I think you would have to transfer the DV data to a PC, and then author a DVD using appropriate software that can decode the DV format and re-encode to DVD/MPEG.

Having said that, I would expect that you should get excellent results recording via S-video, in spite of the analog steps in the process. The miniDV should produce really good analog video, and this should record quite well..

I own the e80, and have a miniDV camera on order. Will comment further when I get a chance to try it out myself...
post #3 of 9 Old 08-08-2003, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by potus
I don't have any direct experience here, but I should mention that you CAN'T get lossless transfer from Mini-DV to DVD, even with Firewire. While they are both digital encodings, they are different. Mini-DV records at a much greater Mbps rate. I believe Mini-DV does NOT use an MPEG-based encoding scheme, so does not compress the video as much.. At the very least, a re-encode will be needed when transfering to DVD. I'm not sure if such an analog-less transfer can even be done on DVD-recorders with Firewire. I suspect the Firewire is used merely for synchronizing control of the camera and recorder, with the actual video signal transferred via s-video...

To get a true all-digital transfer, I think you would have to transfer the DV data to a PC, and then author a DVD using appropriate software that can decode the DV format and re-encode to DVD/MPEG.

Having said that, I would expect that you should get excellent results recording via S-video, in spite of the analog steps in the process. The miniDV should produce really good analog video, and this should record quite well..

Thanks for the quick response!

That was my main concern because the E-80 was missing the firewire input, and plan to convert my mini-dv tapes to DVD. The Hard Drive is also an important feature that I want.

Bob

I own the e80, and have a miniDV camera on order. Will comment further when I get a chance to try it out myself...
post #4 of 9 Old 08-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

I can certainly understand the convenience of transfer to DVD (I will be doing this myself), but you should be aware that there will be _some_ (perhaps minor) loss of quality when transferring to DVD.

I would hold onto the miniDV "masters" in any case.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-08-2003, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I took the plunge and ordered the DMR-E80 online for $525 (Includes shipping and no tax)

I hope I made the right decision?

Bob
post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-2003, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by bad1550
Well, I took the plunge and ordered the DMR-E80 online for $525 (Includes shipping and no tax)
Where? Dealtime.com has the lowest price currently as $543, including shipping.

(Maybe there should be a top-level topic with the lowest price anyone currently knows of?)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-08-2003, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

I called a local NY online vendor and they beat the price!

You can e-mail me privately for additional info!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2003, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never had much luck with the lower priced mail order companies. Usually it's out of stock or you have to buy high priced accessories too. I stick with the vendors I know the reputation of, a little bit more $.
Most of the low prices on the web, are just that, low prices on the web.
I paid $570 for my E80 from a well known mail-order house. I'd likie to hear from someone that really got a new one with warranty for $525.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

I got mine for around that (plus shipping) the first week they were out. Was delivered in less than a week, in factory box. US warranty, etc... No pressure to buy anything else...

I see that they are now selling it for $509...

mjshow.com. I think they are an "ebay store"

I know what you mean about the low-priced NY dealers. It's been like that for years, even before the internet when they were mainly mailorder. I recently was in the market for a Sony camcorder, and had to cancel orders from 2 different NY camera places because what was posted as "in stock", was not actually in stock. You have to be careful... They sometimes substitute grey market items without telling you, too...
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page