Questions Regarding Video Editing Using a Panny E60 and LF-D521 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-08-2003, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have several newbie questions regarding video editing and DVD creation using the Panny E60 and LF-D521. I've read extensively on these forums and pieced together a lot of information but wanted to clarify everything in one place. I know that vferrari has lots of experience with this and Vic, I would appreciate your insight and advice. Also, anyone else with experience in this area, please feel free to provide your insight and advice as well.

I have the following equipment:

Panny E60
Panny LF-D521
Sony Ultimate TV
Sony KV40XBR700
JVC GV-DR70U MiniDV Digital Camcorder
Minolta DiImage 7 Digital Camera

These are the things I want to do and the way I think that they are best done and I need to know if I have it right:

1. Edit my miniDV tapes and then tranfer them to DVD-R and RAM for permanent storage.

To do this, I would download the miniDV tape to my PC harddrive via Firewire. Edit the .avi file with software designed to edit .avi files (any suggestions on which software, all I currently have is what came with the camera). Tranfer the .avi file back to the miniDV tape in the camcorder via Firewire. Then hook up the camcorder via Firewire to the E60 and record to DVD-R and DVD-RAM. This to me seems the best way to preserve PQ. Is the best way?

2. Edit out commercials that are on programs that I have recorded, from either live TV or the Ultimate TV's harddrive, onto DVD-RAM and then burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW.

To do this, I would take the DVD-RAM to my computer and import the .vro file to a software program that will accept the .vro file directly (what are the best software applications for this task?). Edit out the commercials and then reconnect all the segments as a unified whole (is a separate sofware application needed for this?). Add any chapter stops or menus as desired and then burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW on the LF-D521. I know it takes 2 to 3 software apps to accomplish this with minimal reencode. Can you walk me step by step through this and suggest the appropriate software?

3. Copy DVD-RAM content to DVD-R and DVD-RW such that other equipment recognizes the resulting DVD-R's and DVD-RW's as the appropriate disk. This is similar to number 2 but in this case there would be no editing going on.

Those are 3 of the 4 major uses I have for the E60 and LF-D521. The 4th involves storage of digital stills onto DVD-R and DVD-RAM and that has proved exceedingly easy with both units.

Sorry for such a long post.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-09-2003, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Scott,

Answers to above questions:

1. Yes, that's the right approach. For avi capture/editing/print to tape I prefer Pinnacle Studio 7/8 or Ulead Video Studio 7 at the entry level.

2. TMPG DVD Author appears to fully support vro including editing and burning to DVD-R (about $68). If you use this program you don't need to recombine the vro and it doesn't re-encode. 30-day full function trial.

3. Use TMPG DVD Author as above. Very straightforward program and fast.

HTH,
Vic

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #3 of 3 Old 08-11-2003, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Vic,

Thanks for the help. I see you have moved to using TMPG as a single solution as oppossed to the multi solution you employed before. I will certainly look into TMPG. Thanks again for the help!

Scott
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page