Defective DVD Blanks will make You wish you had a Hard Drive... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is so much crap out there as far as DVD-R blanks that if you always try to record direct you will have a lot of coasters over the next year- and miss that TV program you really had to have. I guarantee it no matter the types that say " I have burned 200 on my stand alone and never had a coaster". Yeah... and Bill Clinton did not have sex with Monica or inhaled MJ. And Nixon was not lying on Watergate.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Clinton did not have sex with Monica or inhaled MJ.
Wow, I never knew that Michael Jordan was involved in the Clinton sex scandal. ;)

But seriously, if your (Panasonic) deck is absent a hard drive, for the same reason I recommend that off-the-air recordings be done to DVD-RAM so that you can have a reliable master recording (that is also editable) until you commit it to DVD-R.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #3 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 07:06 AM

I have been using Verbatims for direct to DVD-R recordings and never had a failure. I use Riteks costing about $1.00 less than Verbatims when dubbing from the HDD to DVD-R because I get a second chance when there is a failure. And there have been quite a few times that the first try at dubbing didn't work, but taking the disc out and inserting it again for a second try did work.

John
post #4 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 09:07 AM

Have used many different DVD-R discs but the worst bunch I ever bought was Verbatim, must have just had a bad batch.
Having a hard drive on a DVD recorder is an essential as far as I'm concerned.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have 2 coasters, 1 Memorex (I didn't know about Memorex), and 1 Fuji. THe Fuji happened on my Panny E80. I had set the DVD audio setting to video, and after that the disc I tried to record went to error, and recover, but never recovered. Didn't seem like that setting would matter since it is for playback, not sure what happened. All the other Fujis, not a glitch.
Love the hard drive in this machine! Haven't tried hi-speed dubbing yet.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

JMas wrote:
> there have been quite a few times that the first try at dubbing didn't work, but taking the disc out and inserting it again for a second try did work. <

Interesting. I've had a fair number of U11 write failures, on low-end media, which cured me from ever relying on them for live recording. But in no case have I ever been able to put them in and record anything else on them (or even recover anything written on them).

My E30 would go into "Recovery" for a long time, but it never did recover anything. Which is, quite frankly, pretty damn stupid and annoying. If it's a bad disc, and I just want to eject it... I can't. I'm locked into "recovery" hell for up to 5 minutes while the recorder munges around with it. It should record in a such a way that if it runs into a problem during the last 5 minutes of a 2 hour recording, it may have to sacrifice the last 10 minutes or so. But it shouldn't make recovery of the entire 2 hours impossible.

As far as I'm concerned, when I tell it to eject, that's what it should do. But response to just about every user control is quite sluggish on the Panny recorders (I can press the Power button right on the front of my E30, and count to 3 or 4 before getting ANY indication that the machine has recognized a button press). I sometimes wound up shutting it off again, because I hit power a 2nd time assuming it wasn't going to come on.

- Tim

- Tim
post #7 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gigaguy- my coasters on the E-80 have come ONLY from consecutive hi speed dubbing to DVD-R- I think it is the Fujis because when I put in another one the E-80 does OK.

post #8 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badgerfan
Have used many different DVD-R discs but the worst bunch I ever bought was Verbatim, must have just had a bad batch.
Nope, there are many bad spindles out there, because I ran into two marginal batches already. In each spindle of 50 dvd-r blanks, I'd say 2 discs generated coasters, and 3 had glue residue that made them less than 4.7gb capacity. These are the verbatims with semi-gloss white tops. The datalife verbatims which used to come with matte-white tops were much better. According to some knowledgeable people who post to doom9, the difference between these two runs has to do with the factory they were manufactured at.

I am in the process of switching to TDK. Who wants to worry about poor QC at verbatim?
post #9 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 08:37 PM

The Verbatims I have had great success with are white-tops on a spindle of 20. Order #94058 from Tape Warehouse. Less than $2.50 each.

I have not seen any U11 errors. My Ritek failures usually occur when it tries to write for the first time after about 30 seconds of recording. The recorder just shuts off on its own. When I turn it back on, it goes into Recovery mode. I eject the disc, put it back in, and usually have no problem after that.

It would be nice if some kind of calibration took place when the disc was first inserted to see if the recorder can write on it or not.

John
post #10 of 18 Old 08-09-2003, 11:06 PM

I have had two failures out of my first 15 Fuji dvd-r's. Both were after several consecutive high-speed dubs. In both instances unplugging was the only way I could get the E80 to do anything. After recovering, I'd put in a new disc and start dubbing again with no problems. The first failure was about the 5th or 6th disc in a box of 10. The second was the 6th out of a spindle of 50.

Mystic
post #11 of 18 Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My DVD-R Fuji failures(high speed XP dub only) came from the Best Buy batch 2 weeks ago .They were selling 50 packs with an instant $30 rebate for a total of $69.99. This promotion is now going on again. I have had 5 bad out of first 40 or so. I bought 25 Verbatim pack for $37 at Sams Club yesterday for a try out.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-10-2003, 04:32 PM

I have had no problem with the fuji's, However just figured out what the = and - next to the R means, I did buy a 25 batch of fujis at Sam's and the first 2 or 3 did not work, I took them back and got the fujis in the blue box at BB for 24.99 for 10. I have made 40 dvd's in the last two weeks and no problems from the panny E80, both in high speed ram and regular dubbing time. BB was sold out of the blue fujis so i got the tdk's in their blue box!
I'll keep you posted!
Scott
PS THE E80 ROX!

Sometimes "NOTHING" is a real COOL HAND!
post #13 of 18 Old 08-10-2003, 04:50 PM

I read that those 50 pack spindles of FUJI's at best buy are RITEK G03 discs which are rated at 1X. Do the Panasonic's attempt to write to these faster than 1X; therefore, they fail??

I have had trouble some trouble writing to RITEK g03 discs on my A04 at 2X - DVD seems to burn OK, but the movie breaks up at the end.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-10-2003, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I haven't even tried high speed dubbing. I've just been recording to DVDRs directly. My Fuji DVD-R played fine on a friends 2 yr old Sony DVD player, so I'm happy so far. I can forego hispeed dubs if that is the only issue. I bought some BeAlls too but haven't got them yet. I ahve a lot of Fujis. By the way, love the E80! now I want the E100!!
post #15 of 18 Old 08-11-2003, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I read that those 50 pack spindles of FUJI's at best buy are RITEK G03 discs which are rated at 1X. Do the Panasonic's attempt to write to these faster than 1X; therefore, they fail??
Panasonic's "high speed" dub IS 1x MAX (as opposed to real time dub which can be significantly SLOWER than 1x; 1x/"high speed" dub takes ~1 hour to dub a full disk independent of record mode, real time dub can take up to 6 hours depending on your record mode).

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #16 of 18 Old 08-11-2003, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ollie W. Holmes
Nope, there are many bad spindles out there, because I ran into two marginal batches already. In each spindle of 50 dvd-r blanks, I'd say 2 discs generated coasters, and 3 had glue residue that made them less than 4.7gb capacity. These are the verbatims with semi-gloss white tops. The datalife verbatims which used to come with matte-white tops were much better. According to some knowledgeable people who post to doom9, the difference between these two runs has to do with the factory they were manufactured at.
I am in the process of switching to TDK. Who wants to worry about poor QC at verbatim?
With everyone screaming for cheaper pricing on media, even the name-brand manufacturers have to cut corners to stay alive. Last year, Verbatims were manufactured in Japan. Earlier this year, manufacturing moved to Singapore. Currently, as prices keep dipping, most Verbatims are now coming out of Taiwan plants. It's an accelerated version of exactly what happened in the videotape world as prices plunged below a certain level. Expect name-brand media manufacturers to soon start offloading all their manufacturing to people like Ritek, CMC, and Princo. It's the only way they'll survive the behavior of the consumer marketplace.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-12-2003, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by badgerfan
Having a hard drive on a DVD recorder is an essential as far as I'm concerned.
Verbatim recently switched from MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.) to CMC Magnetics. CMC is the third worst media manufacturer in my experience. (Worst is Princo, second worst is Optodisc)

Ritek is the best of the Taiwanese manufacturers. I feed my Pioneer DVR-105 with Riteks and nothing else. (Except for when I'm burning RWs, those are Sony.) Even at 2x, the Ritek G03s are reliable discs. And the 4x G04s are wonderful. I have never had a Ritek coaster.

In general, only buy discs that you *know* the media manufacturer of. Best case is discs branded as being the manufacturer's. (i.e. if it's sold as a Ritek disc, it IS a Ritek disc.)
post #18 of 18 Old 08-12-2003, 09:36 AM

I have been using Lead Data blanks almost exclusively for direct recording in my E-20, Pioneer 7000, RD-X2 and now the E-80H, they have worked so well that I treat them with the same confidence that I did TDK beta tape in my SLHF- 1000. The Comp USA blanks are some what more problematical.

I however agree that the hard-drive DVD recorder is the best of both worlds
if only they would make them so we could put in any size Hd we wanted.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page