Please Help! DVD recorder playback problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-09-2003, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a Panasonic DVD Recorder (DMR-HS2)

I burned a movie I had on my computer's hard drive onto a Fuji Film DVD-R blank disc using Nero 6. I tested it out on my computer's DVD drive after it finished burning and it played perfectly. But then I took it over to My DVD Recorder (Panasonic DMR-HS2) and it didn't play! a "U 11" error came up when it tried to read it. I guess it just couldnt read or recognize anything.

What did I do wrong? the DMR-HS2 is supposed to play back DVD-R discs, so why didn't it play this one? Does it not read Fuji dvd-r's?I called Panasonic and they said maybe I should slow down the computer burning speed from the 4x I used. Does anyone know what went wrong here and what I should do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-10-2003, 07:02 AM

What version of Nero6 are you using? I read the older versions create "Video_TS" (note the lowercase letters) instead of "VIDEO_TS" (all uppercase) that maybe causing compatibility problems. I believe Ahead already fixed it so you may want to download the lastest version and see if that fixes your problem.

HTH.

Body by Nautilus. Brains by Mattel.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-10-2003, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah Nero6 did change it to lowercase letters but I changed it back to Uppercase before I burn it. Does that make a difference? And even if that was a problem then why was it working in my dvd drive of my computer but not my panasonic dvd recorder? Thats the thing i cant figure out. I don't know if it's a endoding/authoring/burning or compatibility problem :confused:
post #4 of 11 Old 08-10-2003, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'll just post here what I do from the beginning to end and maybe someone can comment on what i'm doing wrong.

I have the movie on my computer's hard drive. I use TMPGenc to encode the video to make a .m2v file which takes almost 20 hours. Then I separately encode the audio with Virtual Dub to make a .wav file. Then I re-encode the .wav file using TMPGenc and create a .mp2 file. Then I use Ifoedit to author it and Nero6 to burn it.

Again, the dvd-r that I create works in my computer dvd drive but not on my Panasonic DMR-HS2 recorder. the "U11" error comes up and it just tries to read it forever without any luck. I'm not sure where I go wrong, maybe it's in my burning process with Nero. Can I ask which programs you guys use to do all this and if you use Nero to burn what are the steps you use? Any alternative methods would be highly appreciated. Also I don't need menus and chapters and all that, I just want to get the video onto the dvd-r! Thank you!
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2003, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zcali
And even if that was a problem then why was it working in my dvd drive of my computer but not my panasonic dvd recorder?
Your PC DVD drive is less picky about playing the video. It seems to cope with error(s) better than a set top DVD player.

post #6 of 11 Old 08-17-2003, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

I am still having this problem. I have tried 3 different DVD-R blanks now (Fuji, Optimum and TDK) My Panasonic Recorder (DMR-HS2) still cannot read the completed DVD-Rs! While my pc drive can. Should I use different programs to encode, author and burn? Does anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-17-2003, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Zcali,

Playing back recordable DVD's on a regular DVD player is a hit or miss proposition. You are not doing anything wrong....your player simply will not recognize the disks. Your best bet is to take a disk to the store and pop it into various players and find one that plays what you have. There is no pattern to this...some models will play fine...others no luck. I burn DVD+R's and they play in everything I've tested...DVD+RW's play in abput 75% of the players I've tested.

Computer players are far more forgiving when it comes to playing recordable DVD's.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #8 of 11 Old 08-17-2003, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm assuming this movie on your computer's HDD is super important to you, and you do not have any access to obtaining the title elsewhere. I mention this because you're really going through a great deal of grief by using your current method.

Anyway, this may help: take the DVD you've created and rip it with smartripper, then use a program such as DVDXCopy or DVD2one to process the files (there will be no further encoding because the material is already the proper length). Xcopy has its own burning engine, and DVD2one works great with "CopyToDVD." I gave upon Nero a while ago, because of compatibility issues with set-top players.

I do this with DVDs created on the Panny recorders, in order to make copies more friendly. DVDs made on the Panny recorders aren't over friendly with certain makes of of DVD players.

I have access to many esoteric titles. If you'd like, drop me an e-mail and I may be able to help you find the movie you're toiling with.

Regards,
Peter M
pmilo454@juno.com
post #9 of 11 Old 08-17-2003, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's been about a month. But I finally got everything to work. Its a long process but it works! Basically, this is what I have to do to get a video from my hard drive onto a DVD-R disc to work in my Panasonic DVD-Recorder.

1. Encode the Video with TMPGEnc Plus
2. Separately Encode the Audio with Virtual Dub
3. Re-Encode the Audio with TMPGenc Plus
4. Author it with Ifoedit
5. Burn it with Nero

and the DVD-R is complete BUT it does not play in my Panosonic DVD Recorder! so The last step was

6. Duplicating the burnt DVD-R with DVDXCOPY onto a new DVD-R. Instead of using the Nero to burn it with DVDXCOPY, i used the "Default Burner" I'm not even sure what the default was, but it worked!

Can you believe it? all these steps just to put a video onto a DVD. I think the main problem was that my Panasonic does not read Nero burnt DVD-Rs.

Maybe if i used a different Burning program in the beginning, I wouldnt need to duplicate it with DVDXCOPY. Does anyone know any alternative burning programs to Nero? Please post it here!
post #10 of 11 Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 PM

Try RecordNow Max. Lots of people swear by it.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-20-2003, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gil T. Pleasure
Try RecordNow Max. Lots of people swear by it.
as opposed to zcali's swearing <i>at</i> Nero. ;)
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page