Dvd-r ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 08-09-2003, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was at Best Buy today talking to a computer tech. He told me that dvd-r is going to be discontinued and dvd+r will will be the only one and done format. I am concerned about this because I just bought the Sony RDR-gx7 and that does not do dvd+r. He told me I should return it before my 30 days are up, and wait for one that does dvd+r. He said dvd-r is going to be like beta and dvd+r is like vhs. What do you think, should I keep it or take it back? I like it but I don't want an $800 door stop in a year!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-09-2003, 10:59 PM

I think the guy must either be God, or in pretty good with him because no one has a definitive answer on which format will eclipse the other. It's still much too early. Maybe on the PC side they have a leader, but no clear-cut winner all around.. IMHO.

Matt

"I find your lack of faith disturbing...."
post #3 of 15 Old 08-09-2003, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as players and now recorders are supporting both formats, it appears that both are here to stay for quite awhile. Since both disks will play in most players, its NOT like Beta and VHS. The guy is a moron.

About your Sony. I'd take it back and get a DVD recorder with a hard drive. The Panasonic E80 has one, records to DVD-R and DVD-RAM and costs nearly $200 LESS than the Sony. This is Sony's first attempt at a standalone DVD recorder. It's overpriced and has limited DVD+RW support. See what many of the people here are saying about the E80. This is Panasonic's fifth generation DVD recorder and they've pretty much got the bugs worked out.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #4 of 15 Old 08-09-2003, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I thought about the Panny, but ruled it out because I wanted one that I could view the rewriteable discs in other players. The Sony works well with this. DVD+RW lets me record tv shows and watch them on my other players.

Jim
post #5 of 15 Old 08-09-2003, 11:56 PM

I've recently purchased the E80, and love it. I too was considering the Sony, for the exact reason you state BullittMustang. I decided that I'd rather have the HDD, and would just have to adjust my viewing habits. I haven't regretted the decision yet. I like being able to record to the HDD and edit before transferring to a DVD-R.

The statement by your BB person is interesting. When purchasing mine, the BB salesperson (who actually was the most knowledgeable person I've ever encountered at BB) said that DVD-R seems to be the most compatible across brands.

Mystic
post #6 of 15 Old 08-10-2003, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mystic6, I also read that dvd-r is the most compatible. That was one of my factors in buying that one. I really would like the hard drive, I will be transfering lots of 8mm tapes to dvd. Maybe I will exchange it I'm not sure.

Jim
post #7 of 15 Old 08-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dump the Sony, and get the E80 with the hard drive....

Shelly
post #8 of 15 Old 08-11-2003, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mystic6, Off topic but I drive through Worth "The Friendly Village" every day when I go to work.

Jim
post #9 of 15 Old 08-11-2003, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Coming from a forum for DVD authoring and burning, I can say a lot of PC users use the Pioneer 104/105 burners, which is DVD-R only. (Pioneer has since release the 106, which is dual formats.) I estimate currently over 70% of PC users use DVD-R just because of the popularity of the Pioneer 104/105 burners.

Most players support both formats - probably slightly more support DVD-R. We'll also see more burners supporting both formats. Media cost is very close. I really don't see either format dying in 2-3 years.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickster904
Coming from a forum for DVD authoring and burning, I can say a lot of PC users use the Pioneer 104/105 burners, which is DVD-R only. (Pioneer has since release the 106, which is dual formats.) I estimate currently over 70% of PC users use DVD-R just because of the popularity of the Pioneer 104/105 burners.

Most players support both formats - probably slightly more support DVD-R. We'll also see more burners supporting both formats. Media cost is very close. I really don't see either format dying in 2-3 years.
In the PC world, the Pio DVR-105 seems to be the most reliable and consistent burner on the market. Plus Pioneer seems to be pretty good about not EOLing drives firmware-wise for quite a while. (I believe the 103 and 104 were getting firmware updates until quite recently.) Meanwhile, Sony has already EOLed the DRU-500 (i.e. no more firmware upgrades.)

The Best Buy salesperson is clueless. DVD-R happens to be the official DVD recording standard backed by the DVD Forum, so I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. Sony and Philips don't exactly have the best track record as far as winning format wars - The only time they've been successful is when there was no "format war" (for Philips the CD). Think Beta.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by BullittMustang
I was at Best Buy today talking to a computer tech. He told me that dvd-r is going to be discontinued and dvd+r will will be the only one and done format.
...and pigs will fly...
post #12 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Best Buy drones. I've overheard some amazing misinformation there.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #13 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Pesonally, I wanted a Sony DVD recorder but it just doesn't offer enough for the price. Next year basic models like the Sony will probably be had for $200-300, it's way overpriced due to R&D costs, their first consumer model.
The Panny E80 is a much better deal and has a track record. Sony will surely offer a hard drive model next and they won't wait a year to release new models, this market is being grabbed up by Pannasonic and Pioneer, and Phillips. Sony waited probably due to the copyright issues since they own a lot of music and movies., but why wait when the E80 is here and the E100 is on it's way. The E80 can be had for about $550-$575 mailorder now, mine was $575 a few weeks ago.
I say take it back.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 02:01 PM

Hi. if you would like some EXCELLENT discussion on both formats, check out these two forms. http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 This one for dvd-r http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/i...gi?;act=SF;f=4 And this one for dvd+r
post #15 of 15 Old 08-12-2003, 02:07 PM

Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page