Copying Home VHS to DVD problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-10-2003, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My boss at work is trying to transfer some home movies (not commercial stuff) to DVD, but his tapes have sections where the tracking was off, causing the tell tale white noise bars rolling through the picture.

When this happens, his DVD recorded loses sync with the incoming video and pixelates. The pixelization stays even when the taped video returns to normal.

Is there a device that can be placed inline to fix this problem, or is there no solution?

Thanks

:-jon

[Early Adopter]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-10-2003, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you know what brand of DVD recorder he's using? I ask this because the Panasonic recorders have a time-base corrector on their inputs which does a pretty job of fixing this kind of problem. By that I mean that any problem on the source tape does not cause a WORSE problem on the resulting DVD.

I've transferred a bunch of old Betamax tapes that have tons of breakup between segments, and the Panasonic recorders take it stride. Yes, the breakup is still on the DVD, but it doesn't cause any problems like you described.

That said, there are plenty of external TBCs out there, but I don't any experience with anything other than multi-kilobuck professional units, so I don't know how well they work.

One other possibility would be to play the source tapes in a machine that has a built-in TBC, like some of the recent vintage JVC S-VHS machines. That will keep loss of sync, etc. from reaching the DVD recorder.

--Bill R.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page