Longtime Home recording Hobbyist Review of Panny DVDRecorders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-10-2003, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wanted to share my thoughts on my recently acquired, Panny E30 and E80 units. Amazing.
I used Beta, then SuperBeta, then Hi-8mm VCRs. Dubbed many a DVD and Laserdisc to hi-quality Hi8mm, (not a copy-encoded format).
Never got bit by VHS.
I've had the E30 for 2 weeks and the E80 for 1 week. Besides using a PC to burn DVDs, this is probably the most user friendly, cost effective, way to time-shift tv, record video. From my DVD source the XP quality is amazing and SP is very good also.
I always prefered Sony higher end products but the Pannys are pretty well set up, but frustrating at the same time, with the un-friendly menus. Sony is much better at this. Getting particular data is sometimes 2 to 4 screens away and lots of common very useful data, times, etc are never shown.
But overall it's a great format, the hard drive feature of the E80 is a high point, but I'm already wishing for the increased funtionality of a bigger hard drive, but I have been using XP mostly, may need to start using more of less hoggy SP mode.
Well, except for the pedantic menus and data screens I love the E80. Why'd they take off the Flex Record button from the remote??, it takes multiple menus to get to it now. The local stores can not keep these machines in stock, I know why now. I mail-ordered my E80 and got the E30 on ebay.
Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-11-2003, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My E80 is my first DVD recorder. Overall I am very happy with its performance. But the menu is not the best. And I wish the manual better explained what some of the features actually do. Again, I am new to this, so when I see how to use markers, not explaining what markers actually do is not helpful. Same with tittles. You have to tittle twice - one for the whole DVD and one for each program even if there is only one program recorded. I know this seems so simple if you have already been recording DVD's, but if the manual had better explainations it would make everything so much easier.

But the performance and use of the HDD is great. Copying to DVD-R or Ram is really quite simple even for me, though there are quite alot of "rules" to end up with exactly what you want.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-11-2003, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd first entered the recording arena with a Sony 1/2 inch reel to reel recorder with a separate Sony video camera for recording home movies, and also jumped at the opportunity to purchase the first "Two Hour" home VCR (Sanyo's V-Cord), for recording movies; that format lasted a year.

The first blank V-Cord, VHS and Beta tapes went for 20 bucks unless you bought by the case, which brought the cost down to roughly 16.00 a tape.

My first movie purchase ("The Wild Bunch"), set me back close to fifty dollars. And I do remember paying 100.00 for Alien. This type of pricing rip-off led friends and neighbors to chip in and split the initial cost of purchasing movies. Hollywood took notice and began implementing crude copy-guard schemes such as fooling with the vertical sync. This practice led to a sudden boom in copy-guard eliminators and video enhancers.

The rest seems a blur: JVC Vidstar VHS (2 & 6 Hr)--Sony Super-beta Hi-Fi--JVC SVHS-HiFi, Panasonic Industrial machines, High Definition ED BETA (just sold one of these machines on eBay for 2 K), Pioneer Laser Disc players, JVC HD Digital recorder, and finally the Panasonic DVD recorders, beginning with the E-20.

As far as I'm concerned, the Panasonic machines are a God send, especially after considering quality and storage issues. Some of the younger people who missed the humble beginnings of video recording may not be able to fully appreciate the marvel of being able to record your movies and memories onto a small disc that costs less than a buck.

As Kojac used to say: "We've come a long way, baby."

Happy Recording,
Peter M
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page