Handling, Touching, Inserting DVD-R Blanks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After burning a bunch of these on the E-80 and reading a bunch of posts on this board, I get the feeling if you touch, scrap, let specks accrue or whatever on these blanks it will prevent writing. How sensitive are these discs? Seems to me they are as sensitive as a virgin. On handling or insertion to the tray it is easy to scrap the sides or mishandle. I have noticed that some discs seem to have more marks and scratches than others out of the spindle. If you get a mark how do you clean it? I have been using that little colored soft hankie that came with it or maybe it came from the XP-30. After re-reading this: Pardon me if it sounds like I am describing a sex act.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Out of habit I've always handled DVDs without touching the surfaces. While this is probably not necessary with standard DVDs or DVD-RAM, Rs are a different matter. Remember that surface is physically going to change when the disc is finalized. So they need a little bit more care. Except for something I know I want to keep for the ages, I tend to use RAM.

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I also never touch the surface. Plus, before inserting into recorder, I use canned air to get rid of dust particles from the recording surface.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2003, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy
How sensitive are these discs? Seems to me they are as sensitive as a virgin. I have noticed that some discs seem to have more marks and scratches than others out of the spindle. If you get a mark how do you clean it?
The "scratches" are more like a mold release residue. I have tried a screen cleaner (pre-packaged wipe) and it has no effect on it. You need to find a solvent to remove it. I'm sure 3M polish would get rid of it, but this would introduce hairline scratches to the surface. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

The best thing is to find a dvd-r brand with a very low incidence of dirt and residue. That rules out princo, imation, memorex and verbatim. If you have the money, try TDK armor-plated dvd-r's. They cost twice as much as the other premium brands, but the surface can take wiping (before and after recording) without scratching. If Netflix would ask the dvd manufacturers to supply their glass-mastered dvds with this type of coating, they would eliminate many of the playback complaints they receive from renters.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2003, 01:52 PM

I've recorded a couple of hundred DVD-R/RW and a couple hundred more DVD+R/RW disks. It seems the fine scratches have little or no effect on the playback/recording features; smudges or "thumbprints" are another story entirely. I clean each disk before recording/playing with a pre-moistened lens cleaning tissue, always wiping radially from the center outwards; never in a circular motion. This seems to eliminate most problems.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2003, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Brajesh
I also never touch the surface. Plus, before inserting into recorder, I use canned air to get rid of dust particles from the recording surface.
I've been told this is not actually a good idea...something about the quick temp change causing delamination (eventually) of the aluminum from the substrate. If you must, I would do it sparingly, hold the can far enough away so that the airstream gets a chance to warm a bit, and move the can around quickly to keep the airstream from cooling the disc too much.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2003, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hmmm, didn't know that. Might have to do a little reserach on this, maybe on some CD-R forums.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2003, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TomCat
I've been told this is not actually a good idea...something about the quick temp change causing delamination (eventually) of the aluminum from the substrate.
I believe this applies only to the cans with either cfc or non-cfc propellant. If you get one of the blowers where you supply the air (with a compressor), the temperature change is much less, and so is the volume of air. You can even use a hand blower/duster based on a rubber squeegee bulb. Dust is a nemesis, and it is a sign of poor manufacturing if you find it on your blanks.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page