Panny E80 quality questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I always want the highest quality possible given time restraints. If I take the trouble to edit out pieces of movies like some or all of the credits, front logos, intermissions etc etc how much quality can I gain when dubbing a shorter version to DVD-R?
On about a 2 hour recording is it worth the trouble to cut out 5 to 10 min I don't really want, to improve the overall PicQual in a Flex Mode recording? The XP quality blows me away, the SP is still very good, but I can see it has lost some quality.
I love this machine, but so many hoops to jump thru to get that movie at the highest quality with my markers set dubbed out safely to a DVD-R.
Hopefully it will get easier as I get used to it, and trust the machine to do what it should. It's just when you get REcover error sometimes when nothing too bad is wrong? it's hard to feel confident in the consistent operation of the machine. thanks. anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You can never IMPROVE picture quality on a dub to DVD-R. The best you can hope for is no PQ loss during the dub (i.e., a high speed dub). If you intend to do a high speed dub (which is necessary if you want to retain your custom chapter stop markers after the dub), the only advantage to editing is that it cleans up stuff you don't want to have to view and possibly allows you to fit a program on a single disk that would not otherwise fit (e.g. a program recorded to the hdd in SP mode that was longer than two hours in length before editing).

Vic

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #3 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, not exactly what I was asking but I see what you say. I want the highest quality put on the harddrive with the least amount of time taken and then back to the DVDR. So the data on the hard drive to dub would be edited and reduced by say 5-10 min before final hispeed dub to DVDR in Flex mode. Is it worth the 5-10 min gain. Maybe you did answer it actually, I'm stil ltrying to understand the hi speed dub. I figured less data going to the DVDR would improve quality on the DVDR but I may be missing a basic fact around the dub/Flex action.
I've got most of it fugured out the the combining and editing effect on the hard drive to hispeed dub capacity is still foggy to me.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, now you lost me.

If you dub from the hard drive to DVD-R without using a high speed dub, you will lose some picture quality because you will incur a re-encoding step as the dub is written to DVD-R in real time. A high speed dub saves time and retains the original picture quality. Also I don't believe that you can high speed dub to DVD-R using a recording mode other than the one you used to originally record your program to the HDD. That is, if you recorded in SP mode, you can only high speed dub to DVD-R in SP mode (you can't record in SP and high speed dub in FR mode) so I'm not sure what you are asking about flex mode dubs to save time?! If you record to the hard drive in FR mode it will use a bitrate that ensure's your unedited program will fit on a single disk when you dub to DVD-RAM/R.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry it's hard to explain what I mean. I'll have to just try out my questions for real and see what happens (or coasters!). and yes I ALWAYS want hi speed dub for the custom markers and no re-encodes.
My question is basically how to hispeed dub material that will basically be edited into diff programs on the hard drive, maybe ind diff modes, maybe shorter,.
Also if I record FR onto the hard drive, and edit out some of that recording, say 20 minutes. will the resultant hispeed dub of what is left (orig-20 min)
get dubbed at a higher bitrate in FR back to the DVDR since it is a shorter program? Can I add ANOTHER 20 min program to it!
My ignorance is mainly around how FR mode handles alterations, edits etc to the original FR recording when you dub the edited FR back to DVDR.

Can you mix programs in a hispeed dub that were recorded at diff modes, but each individual program is NOT changing mode.
Sorry, I guess I better go to sleep!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-12-2003, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also if I record FR onto the hard drive, and edit out some of that recording, say 20 minutes. will the resultant hispeed dub of what is left (orig-20 min)
get dubbed at a higher bitrate in FR back to the DVDR since it is a shorter program? Can I add ANOTHER 20 min program to it!

There is NO REENCODING during a high speed dub period. So if you are high speed dubbing a program that was originally recorded in FR mode to the HDD and you have edited 20 minutes of material from it, the resultant high speed dubbed disk will have the space equivalent to the missing 20 minutes of material. Since it was originally recorded in FR mode, you may or may not be able to record an additonal 20 minutes of material to the disk because it depends on the "real time" length of the original recording (which determines the avg FR bitrate used) and the mode at which the "replacement" material was recorded.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2003, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

gigaguy asked:
> will the resultant hispeed dub of what is left (orig-20 min) get dubbed at a higher bitrate in FR <

No. By definition, "high-speed" mode is an image copy. Exactly the same bits, at exactly the same bit-rate. You can't get any improvements out of it, after the fact.

The kind of effect you're describing would be to record 2 hours or more at XP mode, then edit it down to something less than 2 hours, then do a (non high-speed) copy to DVD-R in FR mode, thus maximizing the bitrate (better than SP, worse than XP) to fit on that disc.

- Tim

- Tim
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2003, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, I get what you guys are saying, I think. It's a little frustrating in that to keep the user set markers if you edit then some bit rate/time loss with a hi-speed dub, if I'm understanding it, as I also want the highest bit rate for the final output to DVDR. I'll just practice some more with it.

I guess editing on the fly as I record to the hard drive (pause), and figuring out the total time it will be beforehand for the Flex mode setting time is what I need to do. (most are over 2 hours.) Then just FR that to the DVDR. I can do it that way.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page