Pioneer DVD Recorders / UPDATE NEWS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-12-2003, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The August issue of AudioVideo International (a industry trade mag.),
has an article about the new Pioneer high end dvd recorders/tivo units.

DVR-810H will be sold at Best Buy, Circuit City an Sears.

The Elite model DVR-57H will be sold at high end stores.
Like Tweeter and Harvey.

Both are due at the end of August or early September.

Both will have a "Home Media/Network option for sharing between
a home computer and Pioneer Product". They will also let you go online
and "Ping" the box to record a show.

In a photo with a Pioneer rep. he is standing by a 16x9 flat TV.
It has a Tivo Central menu that is 16x9.
The menu screen shows these choices.

Watch Live TV
DVD: Blank DVD-R disc inserted
Music & Photo's
Showcases
Pick Program to Record
Message & Setup

It appears that we'll soon see these new Pioneer Models.
The other info. mentioned are things previously posted.
Nothing else new was mentioned.

Thought I'd share this new bit of info.

Bigjazzfan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-12-2003, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking forward to checking out these recorders as Pioneer's computer burners have never failed me. But you have to wonder what the folks at Pioneer are smoking putting their decks at that high a price point compared to the competition. Must be the tivo licensing that adds to the cost. Or hopefully it's just that much better a recorder.

Speaking of which, I know nothing about Tivo, but I've heard you need a phone line to be able to use it. Is this true? I don't have any active phone lines in my house (cable modem for the computer, cell phone for regular calling) so if I bought one of these recorders, would I be completely out of luck? I don't want to pay $40 a month just for a phone line for the dvd recorder. Hopefully it'll have a regular non-Tivo timer as well if Tivo does need a phone line.

DVD collection
LD collection

Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-13-2003, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The only thing high end about tweeter is their prices.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #4 of 22 Old 08-13-2003, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dugpa
I'm looking forward to checking out these recorders as Pioneer's computer burners have never failed me. But you have to wonder what the folks at Pioneer are smoking putting their decks at that high a price point compared to the competition.
I had high hopes for Pioneer in the standalone market, but their ongoing history of vaporware combined with their decision to produce pricey, "elite"-level recorders isn't encouraging.

CNET's preliminary complaints with the 810H:
"Pioneer is charging $1,199 for the 810H and $1,599 for the 120GB Elite DVR-57H. Expanding beyond the bare-bones TiVo Basic service will cost you even more. You don't get a FireWire input for the recorder, and you can't edit out commercials before you transfer programs to disc."
post #5 of 22 Old 08-13-2003, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dugpa

Speaking of which, I know nothing about Tivo, but I've heard you need a phone line to be able to use it. Is this true? I don't have any active phone lines in my house (cable modem for the computer, cell phone for regular calling) so if I bought one of these recorders, would I be completely out of luck? I don't want to pay $40 a month just for a phone line for the dvd recorder. Hopefully it'll have a regular non-Tivo timer as well if Tivo does need a phone line.
You don't necessarily need a phone line, although you may need one on the initial set-up but I have a friend at work who got his working without one. Bascially, you can use a landline, or connect Tivo to your cable modem with a router and USB-Network adapter. The data connection is necessary to download program guide info and any software updates--these downloads are one of the reasons why Tivo works well.

As for non-Tivo timers...Tivo can be set to record by title, content type (comedy, drama, sports, etc.) or by a specified time-slot for a specified channel. You should head over to www.tivocommunity.com --there's tons of Tivo info there.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-14-2003, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, if previous internet pricing of the DVR-7000 is any indication, then you should be able to pick up the 57H for around $1000 (same as the 7k) and the 810 for about $799. Maybe cheaper. This is speculative of course.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-14-2003, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Still nothing for the Canadian market since we don't use Tivo. The only model listed at their website is the 7000. Guess I'll be buying Panasonic...
post #8 of 22 Old 08-14-2003, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, whats up with Pioneer USA? Not even so much as press releases on their web site. Don't they know their demographic is computer literate?
post #9 of 22 Old 08-14-2003, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The press release is at their website, but the only way I've ever found it is by specifically doing a search for the recorders' model numbers. There's no mention on the actual DVD recorders page. But then, Pioneer's website always seems to be a few months behind on products. It was two weeks after I'd bought a DV-563A player before they even finally mentioned it's existence on their web site.

The url for the press release on the recorders:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe...998807,00.html

DVD collection
LD collection

Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-16-2003, 08:50 AM

So why should people shell out that kind of money if it doesn't even have a Firewire port and especially if you can't transfer content over to the DVD without commercials? I think I'll wait and see what version 2.0 brings. I wonder if it is Tivo that forced their hand on the commercial inclusion policy? This really steams me because this would have been the best DVD Recorder out there. I don't see it selling very well due to these severe limitations.

TWinbrook46636
post #11 of 22 Old 08-16-2003, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The Lack of firewire doesn't bother me. I don't use the firewire port in my 7000 now. Its DV-MPEG conversion doesn't look quite right. I get better results from the analog out on my camcorder to the 7k.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-18-2003, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
mrwilson:

Will you be upgrading.?........I'm interested in your decision because I really like the 7000 and I don't want to spend the extra cash if its not that much better.

Mike
post #13 of 22 Old 08-18-2003, 04:20 PM

Can anybody verify if the Pioneer DVR 57H and 810H have DD 5.1 capability?
post #14 of 22 Old 08-18-2003, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

MikeRP, probably keeping the 7k too unless the 57H has every feature I like that the 7k has. Most importantly the DVNR and 16:9 flag.

RichLS, no. None do and none are planned. The one Philips showed earlier this year is supposedly not on the schedule any longer.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-20-2003, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

mr wilson:

could you explain to me what you think the advantages are of those two things you pointed out? DVNR and 16:9 flag? I guess I wouldn't haven't picked out those two items and it is probably because I don't understand the equipment yet.

thanks

Mike
post #16 of 22 Old 08-20-2003, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

DVNR, Digital Video Noise Reduction. The 7000 has this feature for recording, not just playback like the Panasonics. Its great for cleaning up old VHS and LD recordings.

16:9 flag lets you 'flag' recordings as 4:3 or 16:9 depending upon the content. Its nice if you shoot 16:9 on your camcorder as that Flag will let if playback correctly letterboxed on your Mother In-Laws old 4:3 set. Same for 16:9 recordings from Sat.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-20-2003, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
You do need to have the TIVO hooked to a phone line. That is how it gets program and other updates, and how it knows you have paid for the service. At least my sister's works that way.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-20-2003, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tampa8
You do need to have the TIVO hooked to a phone line. That is how it gets program and other updates, and how it knows you have paid for the service. At least my sister's works that way.
Actually, for the current *standalone* models, you need a phone line for the initial set up, but then you can use a cheap USB<>Ethernet adapter to get updates over the net.

(DirecTV+Tivo combined models don't do this, as far as I know, DirecTV disabled this ability.. I may be mistaken.)
post #19 of 22 Old 08-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

I have direct tivo and never hook it up to the phone line. The updates come from the satellite. I do get an annoying message once a day asking me to hook up my phone line, but I don't. As far as cable, I'm not sure how they do their upgrades.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-21-2003, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

mrwilson:

Thanks........yes I really like the DVNR. It did a great job of helping with video quality of some of my really old VHS tapes.

I didn't realize the last feature..........I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Keep in touch!

Mike
post #21 of 22 Old 08-21-2003, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

MikeRP, I think Auto is the default setting for the Aspect Ratio flag. Never could get that too work. It always defaulted to 4:3, so I set it manually. Sometimes I do forget to set it back to 4:3.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-21-2003, 11:50 AM

What happend to the Pioneer DVD Recorders 001H and 002H that they displayed at the CES Show? The 002H had firewire input and output as well as a hard drive and had a suggested retail of under $1000. I would be shocked if they changed their mind and went with the TIVO units at almost twice the price.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page