New test- JVC SVHS vs 985 vs E-80 for Best PQ!- Your Input! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JVC HRS-7800U Deluxe S-VHS vs Philips 985 vs Panny DMR E-80. Here are the setups. I plan to do this in about 6 days. I am going to input an s-video from the cable box to the JVC for SP on a High grade Fuji S-VHS tape. 985 will have components IN from the cable box(yes the new TW cable box has component outs)-HQ speed recording. The E-80 will have the cable box s-video going IN to the E-80 for the recording-XP speed. All three are hooked up on separate digital cable TV's and separate same type boxes- not HD and the recording will be done simultaneously on the three recorders. The show will be an HBO 1 hour show or your better suggestion. Tell me if you think my test is flawed and what I can do to improve it. I have cable only. My aim is to compare all three to see which recording is superior. Thanks.
PS- I have a gut feeling this high grade JVC recorder final tape may be very close to both of the DVDR's- of course I did have 3 wines tonight.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You might want to add a 4th test. Use the same HBO show that is aired at a different time and record on the 985 using s-video input. This will allow you to compare the s-video in vs. component in. Most people don't have a source device with component outputs so this would put the 985 on equal footing. I have a JVC HRS-7800U also and am looking foreward to the results. If you have an HD source it would be very helpful if you could try recording a small amout of HD via s-video to see how the units compare. I have done this with my RCA DTC100 and my JVC S-VHS deck with pretty good results, but am curious if the DVD recorders will do a better job. Thanks.

Jay
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy
All three are hooked up on separate digital cable TV's and separate same type boxes
Will you be able to control the cable signal level for each box? Signal splitters and RF amplifiers can create differences in the source quality being fed to each unit.

PS: you'll probably be amazed at how awful the S-VHS looks in comparison. Edge jitter, chroma noise/shift, emphasis noise etc...all the "analog artifacts". Recording color bars is a real eye-opener.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffWld
Will you be able to control the cable signal level for each box? Signal splitters and RF amplifiers can create differences in the source quality being fed to each unit.
If it is digital cable then this shouldn't matter. If it is analog then it could definitely be an issue.

Jay
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2003, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All three will have same digital signal. There are no splitters or RF amp.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-14-2003, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
SP recordings made on my JVC 54000 SVHS machine are clearly inferior to HQ 985 recordings.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2003, 03:31 PM
hjw
Advanced Member

Question for you folks using S-VHS. Do you ever get color irregularities at the top of the screen? I've got a newer JVC machine, and sometimes notice a pinkish tint, and once in a while a greenish tint in the upper portion of the screen. I have not seen this on the source material, only on the recording. Any thoughts? Thanks.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-24-2003, 07:07 PM

Although your intentions are good, and you're pouring a lot of time and effort into this, I've got to ask...why bother??

Even if S-VHS edged out the 985, I for one would NEVER go back to using videotape having now tasted the once forbidden fruits of DVD recording (wife caved in and greenlighted my Philips DVDR75 and I love it :)!

I'd say don't wast your time and find something a little more constructive to do with your time.

For the record, the picture quality on the 75 using M4 (4 hour) looks as good as the pic off my Directv signal.

:D

G
post #9 of 10 Old 08-25-2003, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by hjw
Question for you folks using S-VHS. Do you ever get color irregularities at the top of the screen? I've got a newer JVC machine, and sometimes notice a pinkish tint, and once in a while a greenish tint in the upper portion of the screen.
Yep, I just ran into a bunch that this weekend as I was transferring over some S-VHS tapes I recorded in 1993. The problem can be worse (or better) depending on what you use for playback -- it's basically an "interchange" problem, where the tape path (the alignment of all the guides, etc.) doesn't match the original recording, so you can get a fairly big "hit" the point where the head switching occurs (which is at the bottom of the picture ... but the bottom of one frame is the TOP of the next), and hence the change in chroma phase.

I've found I can sometimes eliminate this by tweaking on the guides slightly, but I wouldn't recommend this if you've never worked on the guts of the VCR before, because you can really foul it up!

Does your newer JVC S-VHS machine have a button on the front labeled "Digital TBC/NR" or something similar? If so, that will also usually get rid of this kind of problem. If not, then you might just be stuck.

--Bill R.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-25-2003, 07:05 PM
hjw
Advanced Member

Videojanitor,

Thanks for the reply! The machine I have is a HR-S5911 that we just bought in March. We didn't use it enough to realize that there was definitely a problem till after we were past the Labor Warranty on the machine. It doesn't have the feature you mentioned to eliminate the problem. I looked closer at the machine, and the manual, after reading your post. I see that it is possible to manually adjust tracking, even though there are not buttons specifically labeled as such. I wonder if the problem could be addressed through tracking adjustment? I'll try that next time we use it. Thanks again Bill for the response.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page