Best DVD-R Drive as companion to E80H? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-13-2003, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the E80H and would like to install a DVD burner in my computer to do additional editing and burning. What would be the best choice for this in terms of hardware/software? Fry's currently has a 4x DVD-R/2x-RW for $179. From what I have learned from others' comments on the board, a drive that would handle DVD-RAM may be the better choice.

Thanks for any advice.

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2003, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

So far, I haven't really needed a PC drive. The HD and editing capabilities of the E80 itself serve my purposes just fine for the time being...

But, if I were going to buy a drive, it would be the LG GSA-4040B mentioned in another thread here... Handles EVERY DVD format, including DVD-RAM.... Seems to run a little over $200....
post #3 of 7 Old 08-13-2003, 12:03 PM

Been using the Panny LF-D521 in conjunction with the HS2 since Jan/03, and its worked out very well...I do covet the LG 4040B, though...

jock
post #4 of 7 Old 08-13-2003, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for your advice on the drives. A question about procedure. If I want to put some decent titles and transitions on the DVD, what is the best process to use. Oh yes, I'm attempting to go from HI 8MM to a DVD-R. What is the steps. I don't mean in detail, just a list of steps in process if using a DVD burner in the computer.

If I choose not to use a computer in the process, what will show up on the final DVD-R in terms of titling. I have only done some dubbing from my HI 8 to the HDD so far and some simple edits to try out my skills. What I have now are several separate recordings on the HDD that have been ecited and titled. After getting into it, I was surprised how simple it is.

Thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 08-13-2003, 08:18 PM

I also have the LF-D521 and have used it with my DMR-E80H. I have created several DVD-R titles by capturing on the DMR-E80H and using my PC and the LF-D521 to Burn the final Copy with Custom menus.

here is a brief description of the procedure:

- I recorded my 8mm video onto a DVD-RAM disk in the DMR-E80H

- The LF-D521 comes with a software program called "DVD-MovieAlbum" that allows you to convert the .vro format of the video captured on the DMR to mpeg2 format on you PC hard disk. (there is other software that can do this as well)

- with the mpeg2 files you can use a program like Ulead studio to create transitions, add titles, soundtracks, etc... MovieAlbum has some features like this as well but I have not used them.

- next I created my menus and backgrounds using photoshop and a DVD authoring tool.

- the last step is to burn the final product to DVD. most authoring tools will allow you to burn the final product right to the DVD-R or to file. I prefer to create the files and then burn them to DVD in a seperate proccess.

as for your other request, attached is a snapshot of a title menu created on the DMR-E80H

You can also find out more info on using your PC with an DMR recorder at:
http://www.thewholewideweb.com/forum/
its a forum dedicated to the DMR-HS2.
LL
post #6 of 7 Old 08-14-2003, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Scott, thanks for sharing your experience with the 80 and pc. This is the info I was looking for. The site you referenced is a treasure trove for folks looking for first hand experience of DMR owners. Also thanks for the image of the "Menu". It looks good to me and may be all I need on my DVD-R disks.

Thanks again Scott.

Henry McEwin
post #7 of 7 Old 08-15-2003, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hmcewin
I have the E80H and would like to install a DVD burner in my computer to do additional editing and burning. What would be the best choice for this in terms of hardware/software? Fry's currently has a 4x DVD-R/2x-RW for $179. From what I have learned from others' comments on the board, a drive that would handle DVD-RAM may be the better choice.

Thanks for any advice.

Henry
Who makes the drive?

If it is a Pioneer DVR-105 (The CenDyne 4x -R/2x -RW drive is a DVR-105), it's one of the best and most reliable DVD-R drives on the market.

The 105 is what I have in my PC. It's great.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page