Stopped using hi-speed dub for movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2003, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know hi speed dubbing is new and we do get it on the E80 Panny and it's great. I think the E100 offers higher speeds? But it takes almost 3 hours to create a 2 hour DVD-R with the user set markers and doubles the laser usage.

I've been dubbing movies to DVDR but I'm gonna stop recording them to the hard drive first and then to DVDR just to get the markers I want.
So, some editing, short programs, and tv time shifting to the hard drive.
Full movies directly to the DVD-R disks only. I also love the quality of movies on the hard drive in XP. It's amazing. but it takes a lot of space and can't be hi-speed dubbed to DVDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2003, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One problem is that if you end up with bad media, you've lost your recording entirely. You don't have to be there to burn to the DVD, so it's no big deal.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2003, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But it takes almost 3 hours to create a 2 hour DVD-R with the user set markers and doubles the laser usage.
I assume the three hours includes the time it takes to set markers, because the actual dub should take no more than an hour. One thing you can do to set markers faster is to use the time slip feature to navigate quickly around the recorded program when playing it back to set markers.

Not sure what you are getting at about the double the laser usage, can you explain?

Plus you can't deny what mattack says about taking a risk of losing the whole recording if you experience a media error during a "live" off-th-air recording direct to DVD-R.

Vic

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #4 of 5 Old 08-16-2003, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well actually it's more like 3.5 hours.
2 hours to actually record the movie to HD
1 hour to dub to DVDR
.5 hr to set markers.
I assume time slip is the same as pushing play during hard drive or (RAM) recording and watching the playback, good idea to set markers during recording, hadn't actually thought of it.
Laser usage - to record a movie and then dub it, I guess is not double laser usage, but for the same movie you are using the laser to both record (2 hrs usage) and dub (1 hr usage) for the same material. If I just went straight to DVDR the laser gets used less, I assume?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-16-2003, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gigaguy
Well actually it's more like 3.5 hours.
2 hours to actually record the movie to HD
1 hour to dub to DVDR
.5 hr to set markers.
I assume time slip is the same as pushing play during hard drive or (RAM) recording and watching the playback, good idea to set markers during recording, hadn't actually thought of it.
Laser usage - to record a movie and then dub it, I guess is not double laser usage, but for the same movie you are using the laser to both record (2 hrs usage) and dub (1 hr usage) for the same material. If I just went straight to DVDR the laser gets used less, I assume?

I don't think so. The first recording is being done by the hard drive, which would be an entirely different mechanism from the DVD laser. It's not burning anything to the hard drive.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page