LD dub -- shaky picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2003, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I backed up my old copy of Raiders yesterday from Laser Disk and had a problem with the final picture. For much of the movie, the entire picture shook. Not parts of the picture, I mean the whole picture looked like it was filmed during an earthquake! This is the first time I have noticed anything like this. Is it related to the E80 trying to correct some kind of problem it sees in the input video stream?

To be fair, this Laser Disk sucks. The PQ of the original is very bad and I am looking forward to the official release of this movie this Fall, but the picture doesn't shake on the original. Any idea what would cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2003, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Does the E-80 recorder has a built-in TBC (TIME BASE CORRECTOR) ??? That might be what you would need, as it basically removes most jitter from fluctuating video signals and delivers a stable signal to the input of the video recorder ....
Old 08-17-2003, 05:05 AM

Laserdisc playback technology did not employ 3:2 pulldown which results in a flickering or constantly moving picture. It depends on the title, Fall of the Roman Empire is pretty solid while 55 Days at Peking flickers all the time. It is not the E80, it the source material and unfortunatley the flickering is recorded in the source so there is nothing you can do to eliminate it.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

I suppose that might be the problem. I have several other LD's that I have backed up with no problems. Like I said, the PQ of the original is not very good, so I would believe that it would be subject to this issue you mentioned. I will just have to buy the official release when it comes out. Thanks