High Speed Dubbing with DMR-E80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I transferred 2 One Hr mini-dv tapes to hdd at XP speed. I was only able to dub at FR, not High Speed. Now it is taking me 2 hours to dub. Is it possible to dub at high speed in this instance?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 07:55 PM

Liked: 10
Did you set DVD-R Compatible Rec to On when recording? It has to be set when recording to allow high-speed.

Mystic
post #3 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystic6
Did you set DVD-R Compatible Rec to On when recording? It has to be set when recording to allow high-speed.
Yes! I did set DVD-R Compatible Rec to On.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2003, 04:13 AM

If you record in XP or SP the recording has to be 1 hour or less for (XP) or 2 hours or less for (SP) for high speed dubbing. The reason is the source material cannot be longer than the blank R or RAM can hold.

Recording over two hours long should be recordered in "FR" for high speed dubbing. Of course LP or EP would also allow high speed dubbing, but recordings over 2 hours should be in FR for best results.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2003, 06:27 AM

I recorded a football game last night and edited out the commercials. It is still 2hrs and 18 min in XP mode. I selected the FR mode for dubbing and it was recorded with DVD-R compatibility on but is is not dubbing in High Speed.
Some questions, Do the recoreded speed and the dub speed have to be the same for high speed dubbing?
Can you use High speed dubbing for content over 2 hrs and if so how do you select it?
Thanks in advance for any help.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2003, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Some questions, Do the recoreded speed and the dub speed have to be the same for high speed dubbing?
The recorded speed can be any speed, as long as the resulting material will fit on the DVD-R. For XP, this is 1 hour, SP 2 hours, etc. The dubbing speed must be set to "high speed" for high speed dubbing. And as mentioned above, DVD-R Compatible Recording MUST be turned on when recording, or you will not be given the "high speed" option when dubbing.

To high-speed dub material longer than 2 hours at the best possible quality, use FR to record. For example, you should have used a 2 hour, 18 min FR recording for the football game. You would then have been able to high-speed dub at the best possible quality. At this point, it's too late; the material was not recorded in a manner that will allow high-speed dubbing.

Alkettory
post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2003, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't see any reason to ever turn the compatiblity mode off- just leave it on always.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 08:04 AM

to make the dubbing of historical family VHS tapes easier. No question that manually inserted markers, which become chapter points, is a better solution. But across my extended family we have well over 100 VHS tapes that we're trying to get to DVD, and many/most of the tapes have only a few occasions, e.g. 1 hour of Thanksgiving and 1 hour of Christmas. So manual chapter points don't make much sense, BUT ability to chapter forward on a DVD player is critical. Otherwise you're only left with X2, FF1 and FF2. So I've done just the opposite of your suggestion. I've left compatibility OFF. I get the approximate 5m auto chapter points without the need to manually insert them. I burn one DVD-RAM master so I can recover to HDD without loss, then I burn a good DVD-R which is carefully checked and then duplicated on other equipment for the extended family.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page