dmr-E80H - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From reading all the posts on this board I'm very close to purchasing this item but I have a few simple and prob stupid questions.

First, how long is the warranty for this Panasonic product? I'm looking at either getting the 2 year or four year extended warranty from the place of purchase, how reliable are these products compared to other brands.

Second, My tv, sony KV-27s42, my SVHS, JVC HR-S2901, and my direct TV receiver all have one S-Video output. I know the DMR-E80H has 3 S-Video, because of the lack of S-Video's on my other products will this result in a less PQ? When recording from my satellite would I keep the S-Video from the TV to the satellite receiver or the TV to DVD recorder?

Lastly, if my signal from DTV is at 90, will that effect my PQ. The guy that installed my system stated anything over 80 would have the same PQ. Is this true?

I know some of these questions are outside the realm of this forum but thought someone could answer them in one post rather then in multiple forums. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 07:52 PM

Hi Melissa,

I'l try to answer some of your questions. The warranty is 1 yr. both parts and labor. I opted not to purchase the extended from BB, I don't remember exactly but I think it was $200. I usually base that decision on cost of item vs. cost of replacement a couple years down the road.

Maybe someone with an HS2 can speak of reliability. I figure it's half computer (HDD), and half DVD burner. Not a whole lot of moving parts, but still some vulnerability.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about the S-Video connections. If your Sat receiver only has one output, you're going to have to run it through the E80.

Your SAT signal strength is not proportional to PQ. With digital you either get it or you don't. Signal strength will affect how quickly you lose the signal in inclement weather.

Mystic
post #3 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 08:10 PM

If I read your post correctly, you plan to connect the S-Video out from your SVHS VCR to the S-Video in on the Panasonic. I don't own an E80, but I believe that Macrovision protection will result in an unacceptable picture from the VHS.

Can anyone confirm?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

I have an american express card that double the manufacturer warranty. Bank of America debit card just announced recently that if you buy your entire purchase w/ the card they too would double the warranty on purchases. There are some exclusions like computers, automobile parts. But for the most part, why not get free warranty coverage if you have the means to do it? Good luck
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2003, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

"If I read your post correctly, you plan to connect the S-Video out from your SVHS VCR to the S-Video in on the Panasonic. I don't own an E80, but I believe that Macrovision protection will result in an unacceptable picture from the VHS.

Can anyone confirm?"

What I'm looking for is the best PQ while recording (dvd) off of the sat receiver with the limited amounts of S-Videos on my TV, Satellite Receiver, and recorder. Would I hook up the Svideo from the receiver to the TV, receiver to recorder, or TV to recorder. Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2003, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If recording quality is your top priority, then by all means use a S/VHS cable to connect the satellite receiver to the Panasonic recorder.

The Panasonic recorders do a great job recording with composite signals, but knowing you went the extra step will set your mind at ease when enjoying your movies on DVD-R.

Happy recording!
Peter M
post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2003, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I also want to suggest that a video switcher may be of a great help to many. A switcher will allow one to use "S" connectors with all compatible equipment, not to mention the great flexibility it will offer for recording and playback between machines.

JVC makes a great unit. I originally got mine from J&R in Manhattan.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

For the SAT connections.. use S-Video

For 'plain' VHS, use the composite connections. The Y/C seperator will do a better job that force feeding it S-Video at that level.

If you HAVE S-VHS recorded tapes.. then feed them directly S-Video.

If you are (for whatever reasons) need to feed back in a DVD you have already created, use the S-Video from a DVD-Player.

This will give you the best results.

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page