Widescreen and DVD recorders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-17-2003, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be a dumb question, but I can't figure it out.

If I record a 16:9 movie on my Sky+ (satellite box with HDD)it plays back fine on my TV (set to 16:9 mode). If I copy the recording to my Panasonic DMR-E50, the play the DVD-RAM back, it displays fine on the TV (again, set to 16:9 mode). So far, so good.

I now want to edit the DVD-RAM on my PC, and burn to DVD-R. I can now do this no problem using TMPEnc DVD Author, and the DVD-R plays fine on the TV in 16:9 mode.

The problem comes when I want to play either the original DVD-RAM or the edited DVD-R on a PC. The aspect ratio is fixed at 4:3, so the picture is squashed. The software DVD players I have (WinDVD and PowerDVD) have widescreen options, but these are not available because the DVDs are listed as being 4:3 recordings.

When I import the video into TMPGEnc for editing, the info screen shows the recordings as 4:3, not 16:9.

Basically, my question is, how do I get 16:9 movies from Sky+ to the DVD recorder in 16:9 format? I can't find any option to change the recording format.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-18-2003, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to do one of things...

a) use a different authoring program so you can tell it that the MPEG stream to be treated as 16:9

b) after the VIDEO_TS structure is made, you have to fire up IFOEdit to adjust the parameters in the IFO file(s) to tell it that the MPEG clip is 16:9 so it will properly adjust the display.

Your TV is set to 16:9 mode, so it's doing things as it should, but you need to 'force' the issue to have the DVD Player properly format it for a 4:3 display..

email me if you want to harrange this further (been there, done that, got the brusies on the forehead from beating head in desk to prove it)

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-18-2003, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I downloaded IFO edit, and I see how to alter the aspect ratio to 16:9. I will play with the settings and see what difference it makes.
From what I have managed to find out, the Panny records an anamorphic 16:9 video format, but sets the file attributes to 4:3. When played back on a widescreen TV set to 16:9 the picture expands to fill the screen properly. Is this correct?

All my viewing will be done on a 16:9 TV, a 4:3 TV with a 16:9 mode, and a PC in the bedroom, used as a PVR using PowerDVD (or Showshifter, which uses the PowerDVD codec). Since the edited DVDs play OK on both TVs, I really only need to sort out the PC playback. How to achieve this?

Also, if I have 16:9 and 4:3 material on the same disk, what do I do then?

I guess I need to read up on the subject. Any good sites that are suitable for a computer-literate video noob?

Cheers
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page