E-80 disc playbacks on other Panasonic players? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using Samsung Be-All blank media and burned my first disc using the E-80 (FR mode, about 2:09 worth of programming on the disc). I tried playing the disc back on another Panasonic player, which has no problem playing other Samsung Be-All dubbed from a friends HS2, and it starts to break up the last half of the last program on the disc.

Any suggestions? Should I try another disc? The disc in question played back just fine on the E-80 itself. Should I add an extra half hour show to the end of the playlist, dub in FR mode, and then 'delete' the extra show before I finalize so that the content I'm interested in doesn't get burned on the outer reaches of the disc? I'll lose some quality, but not much, I would imagine.

any suggestions welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

I've recorded over 50 disks using the Be-Alls, with 0 problems. The disks were recorded on an E30 and a PC.

Where did you get your Be-Alls ? There have been some threads on DVDRhelp.com that mentioned that there are some counterfit Be-Alls on the market.

Also, what was the other Panasonic players model number ? Some of the older players may be more picky.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

I bought the Samsung Be-Alls from Rima.Com. $115 for 100 of them.

My DVD player is the Panasonic DVD-RV33 I believe. I've made copies via a PC on some other discs, all on the same Samsung Be-All, and they play flawlessly in this player. The only disc giving my problems right now in this player is the first one I burned from the E-80.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Just as an update, my player giving me problems is the Panasonic DVD-RV32. It plays other Samsung Be-All discs (from the same spindle pack) that I've copied via my PC drive just fine, but chokes on the 2 discs I've tried to burn using the E-80. Both discs play fine until the last half of the last show.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonBrown
Just as an update, my player giving me problems is the Panasonic DVD-RV32.
I have a Panasonic DVD-RV32 in my test bed of players and have found it to be the crankiest player that Panasonic has produced and is not a true gage of overall compatibility. Mine will glitch on any brand of budget media (BeAll, Ritek, Lead Data etc.) when the disc has been produced on any model of Panasonic recorder. The same discs play problem-free on any other Panasonic player model or any model of Sony, Toshiba, or JVC player I've tested. Strangely enough, the DVD-RV32 plays budget media without problems if the disc has been produced on a Pioneer PC burner (A05).
post #6 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffWld
I have a Panasonic DVD-RV32 in my test bed of players and have found it to be the crankiest player that Panasonic has produced and is not a true gage of overall compatibility. Mine will glitch on any brand of budget media (BeAll, Ritek, Lead Data etc.) when the disc has been produced on any model of Panasonic recorder. The same discs play problem-free on any other Panasonic player model or any model of Sony, Toshiba, or JVC player I've tested. Strangely enough, the DVD-RV32 plays budget media without problems if the disc has been produced on a Pioneer PC burner (A05).
Odd, because a friend burned about 20 discs for me using his HS2 before I got the E80 and they all play just fine on the RV-32. I think they are Maxells. But copies of these copies on Samsung Be-Alls play flawlessly on the DV32 as well. It's just the burned discs from the E80 that are causing some problems when playing back on the RV32.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Odd, because a friend burned about 20 discs for me using his HS2 before I got the E80 and they all play just fine on the RV-32. I think they are Maxells.
Yes, I have never had the RV32 glitch if using Fuji, Maxell, Verbatim, TDK etc. when burned on an HS2 or E80. It's only the lower-grade/bulk media that is a problem. The only bulk media that plays perfectly (when burned on an HS2 or E-80) is the white-top H-series 1X Princo.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It plays other Samsung Be-All discs (from the same spindle pack) that I've copied via my PC drive just fine, but chokes on the 2 discs I've tried to burn using the E-80. Both discs play fine until the last half of the last show.
It's funny you mention that, I had the same problem with the E50 before I returned it. I started off using apple blank dvd-r discs that I'd been using in my Pioneer computer a03 drive, which have played flawlessly in every player I have (RP62, XP30 and pioneer dv505). But when I tried using them on the E50, I had the same problem playing the discs on my other machines as you mention, with everything playing fine until towards the end of the disc (and yes, I did finalize them) and then started glitching. They did this on every player I tried them on but the e50 itself. So I picked up some Panasonic brand dvd-r's, figuring if anything would work well in the e50 they should. And the problem did go away. So it seems there's something in the way the e50 (and I would guess the e80) encodes the discs that's very picky about media, whereas computer drives aren't as much.

DVD collection
LD collection

Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page