2 questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just started investigating DVD recorders and my head is spinning. My primary purpose for purchasing one of these is to transfer DV home movies to hard disc. I noticed that some of the upscale models feature a digital input. How significant is this for optimum picture quality? Also, I would like to share some of these home movies with relatives in England. Are any of these recorders NTSC/PAL compatible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Gary,

Even though technically you SHOULD get a better picture when using the DV input on one of these recorders, in practice it's likely to only look "slightly" better than just using S-Video. This is because none of these DVD recorders can record the straight DV data stream, and it must be converted to the recorder's MPEG-2 format.

Now I haven't tested these side-by-side, so I'm not the ultimate authority in this area by any means, but I think since you're dealing with DV images that originated in a consumer device (ie: the quality of the original is not all that taxing), you would PROBABLY be perfectly satisfied with a non-DV equipped model, such as the Panasonic DMR-E80H.

As for the NTSC/PAL issue, as far as I know, none of these recorders will make PAL recordings. I've had three different Panasonic recorders, and none of them have that option.

--Bill R.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Firewire provides more of a device control convenience than a Picture Quality advantage on these DVD recorders (automated recording and scene detection features are implemented on the HS2 and the upcoming Panasonic E100).

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 04:56 PM
dgb

On the PAL portion of your question: the Philips DVDR985 will record either NTSC or PAL video, but will not convert between them. Not sure if the newer Philips models have the same capability.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 10:10 PM

The just out Panasonic 100 can take the raw MPEG4 video from a DV camera if I read the details correctly. Check out its stats on their web site. Of course this is a $1000 bucks...

Steve
post #6 of 8 Old 08-20-2003, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The just out Panasonic 100 can take the raw MPEG4 video from a DV camera
Just for clarification, don't confuse the mpeg4 video (typically recorded to a flash memory card on these vid cams) as the same as the DV video recorded to mini-DV tape or the mpeg2 recorded to mini-DVD-RAM or mini-DVD-R in the Panasonic camcorders. You can only get the DV out through firewire and it is converted to mpeg2 on the fly in the Panasonic DMR-E100 (similar to the HS2) and the mpeg4 stream duration is limited by the capacity of the flash memory card you recorded it to but it IS a direct digital transfer.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2003, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the informative responses.

"...the Philips DVDR985 will record either NTSC or PAL video, but will not convert between them."

If I understand you correctly, I won't be able to record a PAL disc with a signal from my NTSC DV camcorder. Is there any way around this?
post #8 of 8 Old 08-21-2003, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Gary, you have three options I believe:
  • Buy a signal converter.
  • Go the PC w/DVD-R route. Look here for info. From what I've read, it isn't too easy.
  • Get a DVD player like the Apex AD1500, which can be set to output PAL while playing the NTSC DVD you've made (or vice versa). You could record that PAL signal onto a DVD recorder that can record in PAL.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page