Toshiba XS32 recorder - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-08-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Toshiba XS32 recorder

Spectrum, my cable TV provider, has just gone all-digital. My Toshiba XS32 HDD/DVD recorder will no longer receive any channels because (I assume) it has an analog tuner. Is there anything I can do to continue using it to record cable channels? If not, what are recommended replacements which will work with my provider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I'm shocked you were lucky this long: most cable systems pulled the "all-digital" stunt two or three years ago.

Anyway, theres nothing you can do. DVD/HDD recorders are deader than dead as a consumer product. The only new ones you can still buy that have digital-capable tuners are the recent iterations of Magnavox, but they can't in good conscience be recommended to anyone who isn't a flat-out geek with a full wallet and a penchant for tedious experimenting. Getting the Magnavox tuner to work with whatever remaining "no-box" channels Spectrum lets thru is like playing Russian Roulette month-to-month. Build quality of the 2017 models is not nearly as good as their units of five-six years ago. And the features/interface aren't in the same ballpark as your Toshiba XS.

The only functional alternatives are subscribing to Spectum's PVR service, or buying a recent second-hand TiVO with lifetime service package (or a new TiVO with monthly fees). All other recording devices will be a compromise in convenience and/or picture quality.

If you can tolerate a dropoff in recording quality, the easiest, cheapest way out is to get a DTA (mini cable box) or standard full-size cable box from Spectrum, and connect that to the line inputs of your Toshiba. This will result in letterboxed recordings that you will need to zoom with your TV remote to fill the screen. PQ will be borderline, and you'll lose the ability of multi-event timers (unless you program the cable box and Toshiba separately, or use the Toshiba infrared dongle to timer-change channels on the cable box). Most of us who still bother with DVD recording from cable use this workaround.

Last edited by CitiBear; 09-08-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page