Does Toshiba DVR620 work with a TV converter box? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-13-2017, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does Toshiba DVR620 work with a TV converter box?

My Toshiba DVR670 stopped working & I've been trying to replace it for a year, doing so much research on various models which all seem to have a fatal flaw. Finally, I'm just going to try to replace it with another 670 or a 620, which doesn't have a built in tuner. My question: If I have a TV converter box (which allows my analog TV to be watched), does that work as a built-in tuner for the 620 so I can record TV shows to the DVD recorder? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Yes, but it works as an external tuner. You have no control over changing channels from the recorder. You have to manually set the channel on the converter box in advance then the timer on the recorder.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 8 Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, that wouldn't be a problem because even with my 670 I couldn't control the station, had to pre-set the station on my TV converter box before I left my home. Meaning I could only record on one channel while I was away.

So do any of the jacks/coaxials, whatever, have to run from the TV converter box to the DVD recorder? I'm trying to picture how the connections will be different without there being those additional ins on the 620.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Yes, but it works as an external tuner. You have no control over changing channels from the recorder. You have to manually set the channel on the converter box in advance then the timer on the recorder.
I have RCA plugs coming out of the TV converter box but I put them into a VCR machine which would be connected to the DVD recorder. It's always worked but who knows when they have to link to a DVD recorder without a tuner?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 AM

The 3 RCA plugs from the converter/tuner box (yellow composite video; red & white audio) go directly into the line inputs of the DVD recorder -- no VCR in between, you can get rid of the VCR. If you have one of the better converter boxes with an S-Video output, us that instead of the composite video. That will give you better video quality.

In the early days of DTV I used a Channel Master converter box with S-Video output and plugged it into a Panasonic DVD recorder to record the digital widescreen channels.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I want to set it up so I can record TV shows to the DVD recorder & also record videos from the VCR to the DVD recorder. Do you know how/if that could be setup? I have both component & composite (yellow/red/white & red/blue/green plugs) on my converter box along with a coaxial & HDMI but no S video.

Also, did you see my questions on #3? Thanks so much.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I want to record TV shows to the DVD recorder as well as record videos in the VCR to the DVD recorder so I need to involve the VCR in all of this. Can that be done & how?

On my converter box I have both set of plugs (red/yellow/white & red/green/blue) +HDMI & coaxial but no S video.

Also, did you see my questions on #3? Thanks so much.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 05:27 PM

I though I just answered your #3 questions when I told you the RCA plugs from the converter box go directly to the DVD recorder (DVDR). DVDR's have at best composite or S-Video inputs. They don't have anything higher. The coax cable doesn't enter into this since you are not using the DVDR's tuner.

DVDR's have multiple sets of AV inputs. The RCA outputs of the converter box will go to one set so you can record from the converter box to the DVDR; the RCA outputs of the VCR will go to the second set so you can record from the VCR to the DVDR. You simply set the active line input on the DVDR to choose between the 2 devices.

You should see all these inputs on the back of your current 670.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page