Any opinion on this VHS to DVD converter? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CitiBear

post #1 of 5 Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any opinion on this VHS to DVD converter?

In the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog is a VHS to DVD converter unit. I don't see a brand name on the unit, and I suspect it is refurbished. Kind of expensive at $499, although it gets pretty good
user reviews.

My sister has a boat-load of VHS tapes that need conversion to digital. Many tapes are old so they might not be good, but she has some recent ones that were recorded on about 6 years ago.
All are tapes of TV shows she recorded. No copy right protection.

Any opinions on this HS converter?

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Def...dia-Conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-14-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Hi Ben left you a PM.

MickinCT
post #3 of 5 Old 09-14-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 280
If MickinCT suggested a used Panasonic combo such as a ES-30, ES-35, ES-45 or ES-46 I'd highly suggest that route to what you linked. More than likely what you linked is a very cheaply built combo(basically all were post '06) and I'd take a good condition old used Panasonic over any new unit.
Panasonic also made EZ and EA series recorders that while slightly newer do have some quirks not found in the models I suggested. If you only use SP(2hrs/DVD) then a even older E-75v might be a nice option. Personally, I'd avoid an ES-40v, they have similar quirks as the EZ/EA models.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2017, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben2000 View Post
In the Hammacher Schlemmer catalog is a VHS to DVD converter unit. I don't see a brand name on the unit, and I suspect it is refurbished. Kind of expensive at $499, although it gets pretty good user reviews.
It isn't refurbished, its brand new. No matter what the brand name, only one mfr has made this type of recorder since 2010: Funai. This same machine has been sold under the Funai, Magnavox, Sanyo, and Toshiba names, plus probably a few others that slipped under the radar. Aside from a few minor (mostly pointless) feature differences that favor the Toshiba, they're identical units. The Toshiba and one of the others (I forget which) can burn both types of dvd blank (-R or +R) while the other two can only use -R. It doesn't matter at this late date: -R was the first standard anyway and most compatible. Some people claim they can buy +R cheaper but generally they're the same price (roughly $25 per 100 for Verbatim AZO).

If you click on the HS link to the instruction video, you'll immediately notice the tell-tale Funai/Magnavox remote control design which hasn't changed in over ten years. The remote they show is even labeled Funai, so I would assume that is the branding you'll get on the unit. Although anything is possible: Funai will make a recorder with your grandmothers name on it if she pays them. From the looks of the unit in the HS catalog pic, it may be a custom hybrid combining the front panel trim of the Toshiba with the exposed buttons of the Sanyo. I wouldn't put it past them to slap an HS label on the thing while forgetting to take the Funai logo off the remote.

Quote:
My sister has a boat-load of VHS tapes that need conversion to digital. Many tapes are old so they might not be good, but she has some recent ones that were recorded on about 6 years ago.
All are tapes of TV shows she recorded. No copy right protection.
Tell your sister to reconsider. It is no easy task to convert "truckloads" of tapes to dvd, even with a simplified box like this. Tapes vary tremendously in playback tracking, so one usually needs to sit and watch each tape as its being copied and ride the tracking control in case of drift in the video or audio. And after all the work, she will almost certainly never watch the recordings again.

I speak from hard-won experience, being one of those dorks with thousands of tapes: I'm so bored with the transfer project that its dragged on for nearly ten years. There are so many new TV series from streaming sites like NetFlix that I have no time or inclination to watch my old recordings. After awhile, I started buying the commercial dvd box sets of many older series just so I could avoid yet more VHS transfers: those box sets also sit on shelf after shelf, also likely never to be watched.

How much is your sister's time worth? She'll be much better off by ruthlessly discarding the VHS stuff she really doesn't need to preserve: either buy the cheap box sets pre-recorded, or embrace the fact almost everything can be found on NetFlix or youTube on demand. Also keep in mind that VHS copied to dvd looks pretty dismal on a modern 42" flat screen HDTV (or even a 27"- it isn't the size, its the LCD technology being VHS-hostile).

Quote:
It was a passable unit at its original selling price of $195 at Best Buy in 2009. The current price of $499 is utterly absurd: Funai and its retailers are blatantly gouging now, since very few people like your sister remain who suddenly, out-of-the-blue, just-now, ten years after dvd recorders started getting discontinued forever, decide they want to digitize their VHS. She's very very VERY late to that party, and will pay dearly for one of these recorders now.

If she decides to proceed, I'd strongly recommend she follow jjeffs advice to buy a reconditioned Panasonic from mickinct. Panasonics were the most durable and rugged of these combo recorders, and had the best built-in VCRs. They sold for $500 back in 2006, when $500 actually bought you a quality product. mickinct is a superb Panasonic tech who rebuilds these units completely with authentic Panasonic parts: he has a sterling reputation among AVS Panasonic enthusiasts.

This HS/Funai type of unit is very cheaply built, with a notoriously flimsy VCR that typically tracks poorly, breaks within a year, and can't be repaired. Worth a try if you can score one used in mint condition locally off Craigs List for under $150, otherwise forget it. For reference, these are the different variants that were available:

https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Recor...GK07KSQ15DCX97

https://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-Recorde...8QGD3VHVNRSEBQ

https://www.amazon.com/Funai-Combina.../dp/B00CCILYDA

https://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-ZV42...rder+vcr+combo
mickinct likes this.

Last edited by CitiBear; 09-16-2017 at 02:47 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 70
And from what I heard tape lasts almost forever unlike DVDs.

With patience I found some rarely used DVDRs on Craigslist all in the 20 buck range. One basic Toshiba, one fancy HDD/DVDR Toshiba, and one Panny EH58 (not working yet - I think it slipped out of a ratty box when the guy went to grab it for me as it acts like the remote sensor on the unit is dead). It's not unusual for folks to have found them too complicated, and many have Blu-ray or other DVD players so they played their disks on those play-only machines.

Sneaky companies, that HS sounds German. Like that Haier - used to be German but the Chinese bought 'em. There's others like that too [Motorola sold their cellphone group to Google, then Google to China's Lenovo]. Those Chinese are sneaky marketeers...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page