Advice on making backups of what's on the Magnavox MDR557H HDD? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-14-2017, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice on making backups of what's on the Magnavox MDR557H HDD?

I’m looking for a way to bulk copy all the television recordings on my Magnavox MDR557H HDD, to my PC or to an external hard drive. ( I don’t own a second DVR. )
Purpose is to make proactive backups in case the Magnavox hard drive ever has a problem and loses its data. Depending on the time and effort involved, I’d make backups every few months.
If there ever was a problem, I’d hope the Magnavox could be successfully repaired and the backups transferred back to it. If the Magnavox couldn’t be repaired, I’d hope it would be possible to transfer the backups to whatever DVR I buy to replace it. Last choice, I keep the backups on my PC ( or transfer them from an external backup drive to the PC ) and play the recordings there.
I understand this may be difficult to achieve due to copyright worries.
A parts shop told me it can be done using the component video ports on the Magnavox MDR557H, but couldn't provide more detailed advice.
I’ve read the threads "Instructions to Daisy Chain 513H to 557H to TV" and the info it links to. If I understood the link correctly, the Bulk-Title HDD-to-HDD method 1. From One PhilMag DVDR to Other DVDR or PC with Video/Audio Input Card would achieve what I want. But doing this in 6-hour increments requires more effort than I was hoping for. I don’t mind extra effort up-front, but prefer not to have to initiate the dubbing multiple times during the process of getting everything transferred.
Does anyone know of a method to copy everything to a PC or external drive, by initiating the copy only once?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-15-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
DVD recorders are closed systems. They are made to record to HDD and burn off to DVD. There is no PC or network connection for high-speed or bulk transfers. The disk format and file system is generally proprietary and not recognized by a PC OS. There is the possibility of removing the HDD from the recorder and making an image copy to another disk if you have the expertise and appropriate software. I've never really seen a post by somebody who has actually done this so feasibility is only speculation by me.

The only established way to get your recordings off the DVD-R for backup and into a general PC readable format is to burn them off onto DVD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page