Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-19-2003, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I have a pc DVD recorder and a capture card and although I have gotten great results from it, it is way way to time consuming and quite often I will get audio sync issues that ruin hours of work. I'd like to get a stand alone player to just do VCR->DVD conversions and want to know the best one out there.

I'd like one that kept full resolution 720x480 while recording 2hrs on one DVD-R disc. I'm mainly looking for a stand alone that will compete quality wise with PC burners, price is no object.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2003, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So no one can give their opinion on the best current DVD recorder when quality is the main concern?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-20-2003, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd say read the various threads. Obviously, right now, Panasonic has a big lead in the market place. I bought one of the first E20s and have a panasonic drive in my computer.

If you're going to be burning Rs; then it probably doesn't matter much.

DVD-RAM has a big advantage on the rerecordable, editable, changeable level.

Beyond that Philips, Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba. . .they're all running for second place now. The big change will come when the recorder can save HDTV. . .probably fairly soon.

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
post #4 of 10 Old 08-20-2003, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanx for the reply, does panasonic lead in the market place actually mean there recorders produce the best quality DVD's? That's mainly what I'm looking for best quality don't care about all the neato features but if I want to record a VHS tape to DVD I want it to look as good or better than what I can do on my pc.

Like we've all seen market leader doesn't always equate to best quality.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-20-2003, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by swanlee
Thanx for the reply, does panasonic lead in the market place actually mean there recorders produce the best quality DVD's? That's mainly what I'm looking for best quality don't care about all the neato features but if I want to record a VHS tape to DVD I want it to look as good or better than what I can do on my pc.

Like we've all seen market leader doesn't always equate to best quality.
When I bought my Pioneer DVR-7000 serveral months ago, the general consensus was that it produced the best picture quality, but it did not have some of the convenience features, lacks a hard drive and is comparatively expensive. Not sure whether the new crop of panasonics has changed the general consensus on PQ.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

I would wait for the Pioneer 510H that is coming out hopefully within a month. Pioneer has traditionally been the leader, according to my research, in this field. Serveral people have commented their 7000 & 9000 series. They said it had a higher dvd-r picture quality than the panasonic models. Also, Pionner buys their encoding chip (from some famous company w/ a famous chip- I forget the name) and Panasonic makes their own.

The 510H will feature a hard drive and bi-directional firewire (the Panasonic only accepts firewire in not out). I beleive it will sell for around $650 street price. I've been holding out for the Pionner for about a year; otherwise I would have bought the Panasonic DMR-100H, which came out last week. Good luck!
post #7 of 10 Old 08-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

bnbhoha

Where did you find the info about the Pioneer 510H? I did a search on the Pioneer site for "510H" and got no results. I am interested in this recorder and want further information. Would appreciate it if you could point me to a site.

Thanks,

Henry
post #8 of 10 Old 08-20-2003, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hmcewin
bnbhoha

Where did you find the info about the Pioneer 510H? I did a search on the Pioneer site for "510H" and got no results. I am interested in this recorder and want further information. Would appreciate it if you could point me to a site.

Thanks,

Henry
I assume he meant the 810H. See current thread
link
post #9 of 10 Old 08-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, here's the correct link to another topic on this forum. I posted a sight that has them on pre-order for $635 delivered. The specs are for the 310 model which would probably be released in the UK. The 510 is suppose to be in the US and I am presuming it will have the same stuff.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=288294

Also, Check this out:
http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dvr310/

&
http://www.1-877camcorder.com/dvr510.html
post #10 of 10 Old 08-26-2003, 11:08 AM

Swanlee, also check out Sony's RDR-GX7 DVD recorder. It doesn't have a built in hard drive, but it's a good performer.
-Mike.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page