Recording using component in/component out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Recording using component in/component out

I understand that in analog connections, component is better than S-Video, which is better than composite. So, one alternative would be to get a recorder that has component inputs--which are not easy to find.

In addition, to overcome the CPRM issue, the recorder would have to have the option to allow for recording any channel on DVD-RAM. (Not DVD-RWs, as it seems impossible to find compatible RW discs.)

The next step, after recording onto RAM (because of the expense of RAM discs, and compatability issues with other dvd players) would be to copy that RAM recording (via a 2nd machine) onto a DVD-R. This is possible; I have done it with some of my older discs that have not so good quality. Then delete the recording from the RAM.

I already have a good recording, just wondering if this method would produce noticeable enough quality to justify spending, say, $70 on a new machine. And of course, I would have to copy everything twice, which is the bigger problem. Then there's the issue of finding a recorder with component inputs, AND allows RAM recording of all channels. Is this overkill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-05-2017, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

I know, a simpler option would be to find a hdmi to component converter (hdmi from STB). I wouldn't have to find a new machine, or record everything twice. Having trouble finding these.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt532 View Post
I know, a simpler option would be to find a hdmi to component converter (hdmi from STB). I wouldn't have to find a new machine, or record everything twice. Having trouble finding these.
Oops, I don't have component input now. My bad.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-05-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I've tried lots of DVDRs and IMO a much more important thing than component inputs is the quality of the recorders encoder. What I ended up with for the best quality is Panasonic DVDRs, preferably '05 and later for full D1 resolution on speeds through LP(4hrs/SL DVD) but if you are OK with 2hrs/DVD then even the older Panasonics would suffice. IMO the only DVDRs that came close to Panasonic was the older XS series Toshiba's, I might even give the nod to those. Problem is they only allow ~2hrs 20 minutes/DVD in full resolution and they aren't very reliable. Lots of problems with the burners which are almost impossible to find replacements for.
I've also tried many HDMI and Component to S-video converters and they all sucked! I got better picture quality just using direct S-video or even lowly composite. I guess the only reason to use one of those devices is if your player lacked even composite, that or your player letterboxed SD outputs, otherwise, they suck!
I'm a real stickler for both resolution and black level and for those points, I really prefer my Panasonics
post #5 of 5 Old 10-06-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I think I'll stick with what I've got then. You may have saved me some money, and frustration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page