Using the DMR-HS2 with a computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-20-2003, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just purchased a new Pan. HS2 recorder and would like to know if there is the possibility of using it with my computer to edit video. I'm mostly concerned with quality loss when doing this. I have many S-VHS tapes that need editing as well as Sony mini-digital tapes. Will the quality be less than standard VHS?
Thanks,
Jim Lethbridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Not if you record in SP or XP. As to computer editing, go to Pegasys and download their DVD author software. You get a 30 day free trial. And the price after that is right ($68). It will edit your VRO files directly on RAM and will burn an ISO. You also don't lose AC3 sound, which is wonderful. I spent months trying to find the right software to do this. Easy to use. Not tediously slow like others.

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2003, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I second hroeder on DVD Author. Quick authoring and direct vro/AC3 support. The only hit is that the menu template choices are limited, but for banging out a decent DVD-R with menu from a DVD-RAM recorded movie, I don't think it can be beat, especially at that price.

Vic

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2003, 08:03 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to all of this, having purchased an E80 a few weeks ago. Now I'm thinking I'd like to be able to use a pc to add title screens and such into home movies that I plan on transferring to DVD. Can someone please explain what is needed to do this? What is the basic process? Do I have to find a DVD-RAM burner for my pc?

TIA

Mystic
post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

mystic6,

You need a drive that will read your DVD-RAMs and burn an R. Most of these also burn RAM, so that's not a giant issue.

Your best bet is to pick up one of the Panasonic multi-drives. I lucked out and found an IBM DVD-RAM drive for about $165. But the Panasonic drives have come down.

Beyond that you're going to need some software. I've spent a long time on a relatively inexpensive solution to this quest. And the DVD Author mentioned above really does the job.

Because you can do the editing directly on the RAM disc, it really is a nice setup. There's a relatively simple, scrolling screen that let's you move through the recording quickly. If you're editing out commercials, it's pretty easy to set a start point and then start looking for the first black cell. 90% of the time it's a commercial. And since you're creating an ISO at the end of the process, you're more likely to have other DVD players read the end result.

After fighting with sound problems and stupid editing systems, this is a pleasure. And is a real value. They also seem to always be upgrading it. Some of those people who are doing what they enjoy.

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page