Panasonic DMR-E80 or Pioneer DVR-7000 - Which one should I get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2003, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering these two DVD recorders. Format compatibility with other DVD players is important to me. I will be using it mostly to archive old VHS and 8mm home videos as well as recording my wife's weekly shows off of cable.

Which of these recorders would be the best unit for my situtation? Should I be considering something other than these two?

Thanks...

AramB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Aram:

I have the 7000. I paid $849 for it. So it is pricey. However, I wanted the best recorder for old VHS, Digital 8 and actually I'm converting really old 8MM and Super 8 to digital 8 to DVD.

It has firewire in and out and great video recording adjustments. Also, it is an outstanding DVD player. I really like the video upconversion it does also.

If you are just recording your wife's shows off cable - it will work fine. However, my digital cablebox does not interface well with the 7000 to sync recordings between the two boxes. So, I have to set the digital box and the 7000 for recording times. I think you won't have this problem if you don't have digital cable. I'd be interested if others fixed this problem.

I'm confident there is no better recorder for video quality. That was my main concern and price was no issue for me here. Whether its really better than the others - I haven't accomplished a side by side comparison.

I'm sure the Panny's are good.

Check with mrwilson - he's more knowlegible than I.

Mike
post #3 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm a novice but I have 2 Panasonic recorders, the E80 and E30. If this Pioneer mentioned does not have a hard drive for recording to, I wouldn't buy it for myself. The cost is almost $300 more than the Panasonic E80 which has an 80 gig hard drive (up to 104 hrs in the EP mode, 17 hrs in XP, 35 hrs in SP). It's easy to edit your video on the hard drive and then record that to your DVD-R. You can also archive tv shows on the hard drive like a Tivo for future dubbing to DVDRs or just watch the shows from the hard driver and delete them later. It's really a nice setup.

The Panasonics I have both record beautifully and I'm pretty picky. I'm able to dub pre-recorded DVDs to my Pannys ( I have a modified DVD player)and you can not tell the copy from the original in XP (1 hour) mode, and it's very,very close to DVD quality in SP mode (2 hour). Videotape usually improves in quality a little when dubbed to the Pannys. The E80 can be had for about $550 now at mailorder. I paid $575 a month ago.
The newest Panny, E100, adds a 120gig hard drive and inputs for digital video cams and it can be had for about the proice of this Pioneer, $900-$1000.
I've never seen the Pioneer in action, I'm sure it's as good as he says, but I have no regrets or disappointments with the Panny record quality, which is very good. Good luck.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 12:32 PM
Rio
Advanced Member

DVR-7000 records video as CBR and it only has 1hr and 2hr recording mode for DVD-R and DVD-RW Video Mode which has compatibility for other DVD players.

If user choose Video Recording Mode to record onto DVD-RW, 7000 allows user to 1 to 6 hour recording mode by VBR, but this mode has no compatibility for other DVD players like DVD-RAM.

Panasonic can record VBR, 1 to 6 hour recording mode even though DVD-R, it will provide good PQ than CBR.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

What is CBR and VBR? I have no idea what Rio is talking about. Someone please educate me!!! Thanks!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's about Bit Rates, Constant and Variable, but I can't explain it for you as I don't know about the Pioneer. Again, I favor the Panasonic for the added 1-6 hr options for DVD-R recording.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aramb
What is CBR and VBR? I have no idea what Rio is talking about. Someone please educate me!!! Thanks!
Variable bit rate allows the compression rate to be adjusted up and down depending on the particular chunk of the data being analyzed at the moment. It should result in better overall compression with no loss in quality versus constant bit rate compression, which, as the name implies, keeps the compression rate the same regardless of the data being compressed.

The magic is the compression engine knowing when to adjust compression accordingly. I've never thought about it very much, but now that I am thinking about it, how do they know?

I can only guess that there must be some kind of simple complexity test of the data block, and the less complex it is, the higher the compression rate selected. I can't imagine there's enough CPU to compress it at 3-4 different bitrates simultaneously, compare the results to the original, and select the best one.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-21-2003, 04:34 PM

I've been using the Pioneer 7000 for almost a year. I'm using it primarily to copy a large collection of Laserdiscs (3,500+) to DVD! (Before the dreaded "laser rot" sets in ... several discs have exhibited this already.) I'm somewhere around movie 400 right now! No hardware failure other than a couple of bad discs. "Video Mode" allows you to record up to 2 hours in what's termed DVD-Video Mode ... playable on all DVD players. Recording over 2 hours is done in DVR Mode, which is playable on all players supporting DVD+R/RW Discs. Pioneer has done a really fab job with this elite player. It has many options, both recording and playback, to adjust the picture to your particular set-up: gamma, hue, black level, sharpness, etc. etc. I also use a Philips 985 to record from TIVO-saved programs. I've had the 985 about as long as the 7000. Many "bad" discs from this machine ... sometimes it won't create a menu, etc. If it's uplugged between recordings, it records the next disc OK ... go figure. For the application I'm using DVD recording for, the 7000 can't be beat.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2003, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got an E20 and a 7000. The 7000 has a better encoder and PQ (picture quality). But the Panasonic is no slouch. The hard drive in the E80 would be very handy. Pioneer has an HD unit coming out in October but no mention of the specs just yet. I believe Philips is supposed to have something out this fall too. You'll have quite a few more options if you wait two more months.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page