HiFi VCR s-video wanted for interface w/ E80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-22-2003, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I relaize this is a step backwards compared to the normal hi-tech talk here, but, here goes:

I'm expecting delivery of my Panny E80 DVD recorder soon. I need to purchase a HiFi VCR w/ s-video capability that I can use for transferring VHS to the E80 DVD burner. Of course maintaining the quality of the original source VHS is about all I can expect here, correct ??

Pls recommend an affordable VCR that meets these requirements. Also, any tricks, tribal knowledge on this type of transfer is greatly appreciated. I caught most of the discussion on the dark input/output options on the E80, so anything additional to that subject would help.

THNX !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-22-2003, 02:17 PM

From what I've read, you should not use s-video to make your copies from VHS to the Panny. You should use the composite connections only since the E80 (and others) only clean-up the picture using composite. So you really don't need a s-vhs deck.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2003, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I concur with the second reply based on my experience with the E-80.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-23-2003, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHuff
From what I've read, you should not use s-video to make your copies from VHS to the Panny. You should use the composite connections only since the E80 (and others) only clean-up the picture using composite. So you really don't need a s-vhs deck.
Hmmm. Interesting. Define "clean-up", please, and what "others" are you referring to?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #5 of 10 Old 08-26-2003, 08:41 AM

The "clean-up" is a feature in all Panasonic recorders that makes old recordings look somewhat better after they are recorded to DVD. Not sure what the exact term is for it but it can be found in the specs-"Picture Quality Improvement Functions: Input TBC, 3D Y/C Separation, 3D Noise Reduction, Block Noise Reduction, Mosquito Noise Reduction".

The "others" are all of the Panasonic (and some other manufacturers) recorders on the market.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

The JVC line, 7800U in particular, has it's own tbc/correction system that "cleans up" older movies. You can use the s-video out to record your movies to dvd-r. Many people on these forums have this vcr. I belive it's been discountuned, but you can find them on ebay. I bought one last year from Crutchfield because of the s-video out and the tbc; however, according to my research (after the fact) I learned that s-video does not make a big difference vs. composite, so you might be better off using composite cables. Good luck.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Should we clarify: "Some People" think that composite video records better. I've got a JVC 7500 SVideo recorder and can say that I've tested it against an older Sony composite and against itself composite and the final quality from S-Video is better.

When I had a 27" TV it didn't make any difference. But at 52" composite video tape just sucks. . .and while the Panasonic DVD recorder 'cleans up' some, it doesn't clean up that much.

JVC still makes a number of SVHS machines. . .

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
post #8 of 10 Old 08-28-2003, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHuff
The "clean-up" is a feature in all Panasonic recorders that makes old recordings look somewhat better after they are recorded to DVD. Not sure what the exact term is for it but it can be found in the specs-"Picture Quality Improvement Functions: Input TBC, 3D Y/C Separation, 3D Noise Reduction, Block Noise Reduction, Mosquito Noise Reduction".

The "others" are all of the Panasonic (and some other manufacturers) recorders on the market.
Ah, yes. Thanks, Dan. That's good info. The Panny's do indeed have a lot of "clean-up' features, but I have found that they should be used sparingly, and that they make only a minor difference. I set all of those when I first got my E30, and it is nice to have those tweaks available, even if they are kind of "set-and-forget".

Regardless of the fact that these tweaks don't extend to S-video, my experience has also been that, all other things being equal, S-video is not always superior to composite, although there are still a lot of idiots who seem unconvinced by this and claim that the specs alone rule. Not so.

I won't get into the specifics here but in the real world S-video PQ may actually not be as good because of the nature of the equipment connected on either end. Each case is a separate one.

This is not analogous to RF vs. composite, where composite is clearly the better choice. While S SHOULD be better than composite, quite often it isn't, specs be damned. That being said, my advice is that whenever you have a choice, try both, and use what works best. Most of the time S will be better, but not in every case.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #9 of 10 Old 08-28-2003, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

S-video is not alway better IF you start from composite as a baseline (which happens with laserdiscs).

However, the same is not true of vhs tapes. The information is not recorded as composite video. The pro-quality ($1500+) decks invariably have better looking s-video coming right out of the box vs. going down to composite (and depending on 3D Y/C for luma/color separation).
post #10 of 10 Old 08-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

I never paid a lot of attention to SVideo until I got a big screen TV. Actually my preference is to do all component video, but given that I use a Replay for regular TV watching the best I can do is SVideo. I couldn't even watch old tapes on the large screen TV. But SVideo is almost a good as recording DVD on a RAM disc. Almost. . .

"Wouldn't you gladly resign from the human race if there was another one to belong to?"
Arthur Miller
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page