How do I record my LD to an E80 hard disk? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-23-2003, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to transfer my laser disk collection to DVD's using a hard disk Panasonic. My LD player auto-flips but many LD's have 2-disks.

I am planning on recording every side to the hard disk with ~30 minute XP giving me 3-XP recordings of each LD. My final DVD will be SP due to the size limit.

1. Should I use SP eliminating an XP to SP conversion?

2. Should I just record all of the LD in SP at one recording and edit out the flip and 2nd disk install.

3. Can I combine 3-XP's into 1-SP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

I don't own an E80, but have an HS2 and an E100 (on order). I'd opt for a single SP recording made to the HD in dvd-r compatibility mode. Do one recording for each double sided disc (max 2 hrs). Then, I'd trim the beginning, middle, and end to get rid of extraneous stuff. Put in chapter stops, and use high speed dubbing to the dvd-r blank.

For LD titles with 3 or more sides, just record in SP or XP on the HD, do the trimming and do an analog record to fit dub to the dvd-r.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-24-2003, 03:51 AM

I recently converted many LD's to DVD-R using the Panasonic E30 and E80. It is very easy to record to the hard drive with excellent results and then use high speed dubbing to a DVD-R. I recorded to a RAM, rather than the hard drive and I will explain why later.

Record in "FR" and always add 5 extra minutes to play it safe. After the side two on the LD has completed playing pause the E80 and change discs. Start playing and recording again. Afterwards, use "Shorten Segment" to eliminate the side break blank space and when switching discs. Use high speed dubbing to record to a DVD-R.

Here is what I did. I recorded the LD's to a RAM, rather than the hard drive. The benefit is, after deleting any unwanted programming using "Shorthen Segment" , I was then able to record the movie onto a DVD-R re-formatted to 16 x 9. I used a Panasonic S35 and JVC 40B to re-format to 16 x 9. The result s were excellent. The LD conversion came out perfect and the movies play perfectly on either of my Toshiba HD 16 x 9 TV's.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page