Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-23-2003, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
ims

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys

I am planning to buy dvd recorder my main reason is to tranfer my home video and VHS, any suggsetion?
Thanks
Iqbal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-23-2003, 11:41 AM

I looked all the all the DVD Recorder and I think the Sony is the best so far. The Panasonic is nice but they don't offer Firewire unless you're welling to spend 1k or more on their new model. I was able to transfer DV to DVD-R using the Sony and the pictures is outstanding even in SP and EP mode.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-23-2003, 02:41 PM

I too was thinking about the same two models. I went with the Sony. I have not been sorry yet. I wish it had a hard drive though. I may return it and wait for next years model, I have a week left.

Jim
post #4 of 10 Old 08-27-2003, 07:31 PM

I too own the Sony. I love it and it'll definitely do justice to your precious home video memories and VHS tapes, ims.
-Mike.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-28-2003, 12:56 AM

For my use, which is backing up laser discs and time-shifting, the E80 is the ticket. That hard drive is hard to get along without, once you have it.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-28-2003, 05:18 AM

I'm in the computer business and do plenty of CD/DVD burning outside of home A/V, so the E80 is my first entertainment center DVD recorder. I don't see how anyone could survive without a hard disk. I'm transferring over 100 extended family VHS tapes to DVD, and the hard disk is a must. In some cases we have to consolidate 6-8 tapes down to one or two. That requires putting ALL the tapes on the HDD first.

I have two (relatively) expensive Sony DVD players, which I bought BEFORE I found out about their SACD initiative. Throughout the entire extended family, my top of the line Sony DVD players are the LEAST compatible of all. I'm through with Sony trying to set new standards. My DVD burner is Panasonic, the two digicams I bought earlier this year are Canon, and my camcorder will be something OTHER than Sony.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-28-2003, 06:03 AM

Alan, you bring up a very good point about a hard drive. The Sony doesn't have one, but I wish it did. Tdh566, which Sony DVD players do you own by the way? From what you wrote, I assume they are pre-SACD models? You say that you are through with Sony trying to set new standards, but isn't that what they should be trying to do? Have you heard SACD? If so, do you think that the sound quality is superior to the sq of CD players? I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying that it is or should BE any company's GOAL to try to set new standards and make their products better. To me, that shows commitment. Now i'll get off my soapbox now. So sorry....
-Mike.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-28-2003, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I wanted the new Sony, I prefer their higher-end offerings over other makes, but higher price, 1st generation, and no hard drive option made it an easy choice for the PanE80. Totally different machine with hard drive recording/editing option, it's great. The E80 offers much more for my uses for less and it's the 5th generation Panasonic.
DVD only models can be had pretty cheap these days, esp used ones on ebay, $200-$250.
When Sony has a well thought out offering with a hard drive, I'll give them another look. I also didn't like their approach to the DVD+ and DVD- formats, needs some tweaking.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by tdhg566
I have two (relatively) expensive Sony DVD players, which I bought BEFORE I found out about their SACD initiative. Throughout the entire extended family, my top of the line Sony DVD players are the LEAST compatible of all. I'm through with Sony trying to set new standards. My DVD burner is Panasonic, the two digicams I bought earlier this year are Canon, and my camcorder will be something OTHER than Sony.
Yeah...I have a "reference" S-7000 Sony DVD/CD player (over $1K a few years ago) and love it, ESPECIALLY the audio (when I really want to hear a CD, I put it in the 7000 vs. my 2 Sony jukeboxes). The 7000 didn't have DTS (their next "reference" player the S-7700 did though), then "progressive scan" came out.

This E80 looks real intriguing to me...would like to have all its recording features for old digital cam videos, plus progressive scan for my DVD's etc. (especially now that I have a Mits 65-inch Diamond HDTV!). How's the audio quality? Does it play CD's???

Thanks...
post #10 of 10 Old 08-30-2003, 02:29 PM

How is the E80 at playing regular DVDs? Does it have the DCDi-capable Genesis/Foroudja de-interlacer or is it worth it to use a good DCDi DVD player separate for regular DVD playing? Can the E80 use a high speed dub (no re-encoding) from edited (commercials removed) video stored on the internal hard drive to a DVD-RAM disc (as opposed to DVD-R) for transfer to a PC with a DVD-RAM readable drive?
Also does the E80 have an internal time base corrector for improving the video quality from a VCR source?
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page