Recording Home Movies - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-23-2003, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to record camcorder home movies to DVD-R on a Panasonic DMR-E80H. Before I get too far down the road, maybe someone could give me some tips.

Here is my plan:
With video darkness input set to "lighter"...
Some tapes slightly exceed 2 hours, so I will record onto HD using FR mode set to 2:07. I will edit, if needed. If the result is less than 2 hours, I will dub to DVD-R using SP mode. If the result is over 2 hours, I will dub to DVD-R using FR mode set to 2:07.

I won't use "compatiability mode" because the 5 minute track marks are missing...correct? Shall I turn off "compatability mode"?

Why would one use "compatibility mode"...just because it takes 1/2 as much time to transfer a recording from HD to DVD-R? But then there are no track marks?

If there is a better way to do this...please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-23-2003, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You use compatibility mode if you want: a) to be able to do a LOSSLESS (i.e., no re-encoding) "high-speed" dub and b) if you want to set your own custom chapter stops (what you refer to as "track marks"). If you want the automatic 5 minute chapter stops then don't record in compatibility mode, but you also lose some (inperceptible?) picture quality because the dub to DVD-R is not lossless (i.e., there is a re-encoding step).

Good luck,
Vic

The Future ain't what it used to be...
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page