DVD-R disks can screw up your DVD player. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2003, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Before any of you geniuses make snide remarks about this being impossible, I am here to tell you that occasionally when I play DVD's recorded by my Panny DMR-E30 that it will cause my Sony S9000ES DVD player to freeze, skip and otherwise behave badly when subsequently playing a commercially recorded DVD.

There is no doubt after months of observations that the ONLY TIME there is a problem with the Sony S9000ES DVD is when playing a commercially recorded DVD AFTER playing the DVD-R.

The good news?

So far, by completely powering down (unplugging) the Sony DVD player for a couple of minutes, it will apparently reset itself and work perfectly until the next time a DVD-R is played.

For all the fine contributors that mocked my original post about this many months ago... may a power surge pop your new amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leedees
Before any of you geniuses make snide remarks about this being impossible, I am here to tell you that occasionally when I play DVD's recorded by my Panny DMR-E30 that it will cause my Sony S9000ES DVD player to freeze, skip and otherwise behave badly when subsequently playing a commercially recorded DVD.

There is no doubt after months of observations that the ONLY TIME there is a problem with the Sony S9000ES DVD is when playing a commercially recorded DVD AFTER playing the DVD-R.

The good news?

So far, by completely powering down (unplugging) the Sony DVD player for a couple of minutes, it will apparently reset itself and work perfectly until the next time a DVD-R is played.

For all the fine contributors that mocked my original post about this many months ago... may a power surge pop your new amp.
Yup, this is definately true. Usually is a case of a slightly misauthored DVD-R disc semi-crashing the player's firmware. I was nearly convinced that my Rowa DVD-3610 was incapable of playing DVD-Rs, but after finding a commercial DVD had the same problems, I powercycled it. I found that the first DVD-R I had ever tried would crash the player, the other DVD-Rs that previously wouldn't play at all played fine as long as I had powercycled the player since that first disc.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-26-2003, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Entropy512.

Thanks for your fine post. Would you mind posting your reply in the thread of the same title over in 'DVD Players' where there is an ongoing conversation over there. I shouldn't have posted in two forums.

Thanks.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page