E-80 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-24-2003, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the recorder and I have it hooked up per the manuals example, replacing the A/V cable with S Video (I have to always keep the recorder on to have to get the reults of the S-Video). IMO the picture quality is horrible when the recorder is on. It seems worse than when I had my JVC SVHS turned on. I must being doing something wrong or there's a better way to hookup this machine.

Can someone tell me the best way to hook up the equipment. I have a Sony TV (no HDTV) with one S-Video and 1 set up A/V cables, My RCA sat receiver that was issued by DSS with one S-Video and one set of A/V cables, and the E-80 recorder (obviously). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-25-2003, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Watching live TV thru the Panny recorders does degrade the picture (IMO). However, the recordings do not experience this degradation.

Heres a few suggestions for a workaround:
- Use the coax output of the receiver. Run it to either the TV or recorder. This is the cheapest solution, but the coax connection will be inferior to the other connections.
- Get a pair of audio y-connectors and split the LR audio signals from the DSS. Run 1 set to the TV and the other to the recorder. Then run the composite video cable from the DSS to either the TV or recorder (and the Svideo to the other).
- Get either an SVideo switcher or signal multiplier that will allow you to connect SVideo to each.
- Get a new DSS receiver with multiple AV outputs.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-02-2003, 11:18 AM

Melissa,

How did you resolve your setup issue? I've just ordered a DirecTiVo to replace my ailing RCA DBS rcvr, and I'm considering getting the Panny E80 to replace my also-ailing RCA SVHS vcr.

I'm curious about your hook-up and what kind of PQ and convenience issues you may have.

Regards,

Bob
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page