Panny E80H LP/XP modes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-26-2003, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been following the threads on here about the Panny E80, and I'm curious about DVD-Rs recorded in the 4 and 6 hour extended play recoding modes.

Are they generally compatible with standalone DVD players? I know not every player likes DVD-Rs regardless of their source, but I'm guessing the 2 hour speed is ~ store-bought DVDs. I'd think they would be, but who knows.

How bad is the quality at these modes? I have a Tivo and record pretty much everything at "Basic" (except for a few things I want to keep, which is getting to be too many, which is why I want one of these). It's kind of all over the map; low-compression (and low motion) digital channels tend to look "fine" to me (eg, Sopranos first-run episodes), high-motion or analog channels look worse.

I can see wanting to record some stuff (where PQ may already be dodgy) in the extended modes, but only if the quality isn't super-horrible and they'll play elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-26-2003, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have an E30 (forsale) and an E80. LP (4 hour) is not that bad to me. Looks similar to average or older VHS. It's not super detailed but it's not terrible to watch in any way. I don't think anyone likes the EP (6 hour mode) for any serious watching, it's noisy. XP (1 hour) and SP(2 hour) are excellent quality. I do not now the answers to compatibility of the longer modes.
Don't forget about the other speed called FR, which chooses the highest quality to record given the total time you plan to dub to a DVD. So if you have 3 hours of video you want to put on one DVD, it will do it by choosing a bitrate between SP (2 hour) and LP mode (4 hour). So you have an infinite range of picture quality, you are not confined to just the 4 set record modes.. very handy feature.

I think you'll enjoy a Panny. You may want to consider a non- hard drive unit if you are just dubbing off a Tivo.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2003, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The recording speed should not affect playback compatibility. It'll just be a lower bitrate DVD.

Quote:
I can see wanting to record some stuff (where PQ may already be dodgy) in the extended modes, but only if the quality isn't super-horrible and they'll play elsewhere.
If you record "dodgy" quality stuff in say LP, it may look "dodgier" on the the resulting DVD-R. That's because you'll be highly recompressing already compressed stuff. I personally never go beyond 2 hrs & 15 mins (at FR speed) for any DVD I make. You may want to experiment w/recording speeds on DVD-RAM.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #4 of 4 Old 08-26-2003, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by gigaguy

I think you'll enjoy a Panny. You may want to consider a non- hard drive unit if you are just dubbing off a Tivo.
I want the HDD for the editing aspect of it. A lot of what I have saved on Tivo are musical performances from TV shows, and I want to edit down the show to a few small tidbits of the show itself and the performance for archiving. I can also use it for longer-term storage of Tivo stuff that I might not want to actually stick on disc.

What are you selling the E30 for, anyway?
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page