Problem with Ulead DVD Movie Factory? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-26-2003, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im having problems with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 card. I use it with Sage Recorder to record cable tv like a tivo, except my intent is to burn the recordings to DVD. The problem is at higher bitrates (> 4 Mbps) it seems that its dropping frames! Symptom is the audio and video slowly get out of synch, so that after an hour or so the synch error is very obvious and painfull to watch, even though its less than a second.

The weird thing is when played back in SageRecorder there is no synch error.

I use Ulead Movie Factory to master the dvd, and there is no synch error when playing inside of movie factory! But when I make the DVD, SYNCH ERRORS!

Anybody know where this is coming from or how to fix it? I'm guessing its dropped frames tho can't tell for sure. But even then, why doesent it show up when played on the computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-27-2003, 07:04 AM

Could the file on the computer have some kind of "pause audio here" marker or other synchronization info that's getting lost when mastering to DVD?

I briefly had a PVR-350 that I returned due abyssmal performance and bad software, and I remember the MPEG2 files it created weren't playable on a machine that didn't have the Hauppage drivers on it, leading me to believe that the codec they use isn't totally portable to other MPEG2-capable players; those codecs could include sync info that gets lost in translation to DVD compatible MPEG2.

IMHO, the whole PC-based DVD recording option is a little dicey and often more trouble than it's worth when stuff like the Panny E80 are $550. It's hard or nearly impossible to put together a functional DVD recording package that can do what standalones can do for the same money.

Once you factor in the convenience, input options, and time, no PC solution under $3k can really touch it. At that price point you get some pretty awesome prosumer capabilities for editing (titles, overdubs, and all the eye candy effects), but you also need to invest serious learning time, which, for what most people want -- copying a movie or show to DVD -- is just too much.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-27-2003, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 111
newtbert,

mobocracy is correct about at least one thing: you need to learn more about DVD creation in general, and mpeg2 recording in particular.

I recommend you go to dvdrhelp.com and read their FAQ's and guides.

That being said, what happens when you play the files using Windows Media Player?

What happens if you pause, then scroll to a point near the end of the file?

Also, your problem with sync on a stand alone DVD player may be due to a completely different problem. Have you tried the disc on several players?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2003, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

First thanks for the replies! I posted this in three places and these are the only responses so far.

Mobo, I see your point. But if you want to see REALLY bad comp hardware, look at Pinnacle AV/DV which eats something like 15 GB per hour, has no tuner, drops frames like crazy, and has a lousy deinterlacer. Hauppauge software is pretty bad, but Sage Recorder makes up for some of that. All in all ive been pretty happy with the results, when it works. But that Mpeg editor it comes with isnt worth the bytes it occupies.

Stand-alone recorder wasnt for me though, too little control over it, no way to edit commercials, too much copy protection, too little geek factor, etc. But I DONT want to have to use the computer to play back the recordings either, hence my motivation for burning dvd's. Guess thats where I part from the htpc group.

The codec issue is bizzare. Its files CAN be written directly to disk (after conversion to vob format) and played on commercial dvd players, yet I have had problems with computer software that doesent recognize it. Im guessing software is balking on a header and wont even try to decode it, while stand-alone doesent care about the header and just plays it. For example, IFOedit says it doesent recognize the "new" format, and playes the video with no sound. Stranger yet, IFOedit USED to work when I had WinDVD installed. It apparently took something with it when I uninstalled it. As if its choking on the audio, standard mpeg layer 2 a 384 kbps, or the multiplexing, but not the video.

leebo, the original .mpg files play fine on anything that will play them at all, including media player and inside Ulead's program. You can scroll to end, and there is no synch problem (though media player doesent scroll real well). Its not the dvd-r disks imcompatability with player, i already went around on that and found BeAll media to work fine on the panasonic, and my toshiba never had a problem with any brand. Ripped disks play fine.

Problem appears to be in ulead's VOB's since when I HAD windvd installed, it played the disks and vob's exactly like the stand-alone player does. I used to use it to check the results before I burned them, but it expired and I dont want to pay for it. At that time everything was working well, and it continued to work well until recently whenI tried using a full-d1 format on a recording of Bananas... every full-d1 recording since then has had the synch problem after conversion to vob's.

Today I'm feeling more like it may not be a problem in the original recording, but is a problem in ulead movie factory. A new problem just occured with a 6.5 hour recording of the Godfather 1 and 2. Its in half-d1 format with a 2.4 MBps data rate, so the file is still like 7 GB long. Movie factory totally chokes on it, it appears it suffering from numerical overflow when it processes the extra-long recording. It acts like its fine, I can extract one of the two movies, put in chapters, the preview is fine, but when it makes the VOB's there are twice as many as there should be and their hosed (dont play). Ive seen similar things on disks complied from many half-d1 format files where it size estimate blows up, because with commercials the recording is too long, but its not when commercials are edited out. In this case its size estimate is wrong but the resulting VOB's usually work. With the godfather, its estimates are correct but the VOB's are hosed. Go figure. I get so tired of debugging commercial software.

I'm gonna try on other computer to see if my main machine has gotten corrupted by all the crapola ive put on and taken off of it, and look for an alternate to MovieFactory cause I doubt its the computer.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-28-2003, 05:25 PM

You may want to try TMPGEnc DVD author. It lacks a few bells and whistles but it does AC-3. It is also much cheaper and has a 30 day free trial. http://www.pegasys-inc.com/e_main.html
post #6 of 6 Old 08-28-2003, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 111
newtbert,

OK, your original post confused me a bit. My guess is you are not dropping frames if the original captures are in sync. The problem appears only in the MF created DVD files, yes?
Have you tried any other authoring program?

But wait! You said IFOEdit gives you an error message? On the original captures or the MF created VOB's?

If the headers are messed up there is software that supposedly can help. Check dvdrhelp.com for that.

Also check out this forum: http://www.shspvr.com/forum/
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page