CanI do this with DVD recorder and older DVD player??? (VHS-DVD?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2003, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to record my older home videos that are on VHS tape. These are older home videos or shows, like bands that I played in and skateboard videos that we recorded back in the day. I have tons of older VHS tapes, and TV shows that I had recorded for one reason or another and would like to get rid of the TAPE CLUTTER.

So my question is this:

1. Can I go out and buy a DVD recorder, burn all my old VHS tapes (and NOT pre-recorded movies, since I've already replaced them alll nwith DVD), then give copies to my family and friends and have them play them in their other stand alone DVD players?

2. Can I play my DVDs that are burned on a DVD recorder in the other DVD players in other rooms of my home (IE older players?)

3. OR will the new DVD burns of VHS tapes ONLY work on the new DVD player/recorder, and NOT on other DVD decks???

Thanks in advace guys.... :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2003, 10:46 PM

Burned dvd's should play in most stand alone players. The dvd-r format should be most compatible from what I've read. That is probably what you would want to use for recordings that you wanted to keep. I have an older Sony DVD player, first generation dvp-s3000 that will not play any burned dvd's. Then my XBOX plays everything I've tried. My PS2 plays -r's fine and will not play +rw. It is not a guarantee that all dvd players will play your burned dvd's. I bought the Sony rdr-gx7. I am happy with it. Recordings look great. I record a lot of tv shows and it is easy to use. I am also transfering all my 8mm camcorder tapes to dvd, those come out really nice. Let me know if you have any questions about the GX7.

Jim
Old 08-31-2003, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I have an older Sony DVD player, first generation dvp-s3000 that will not play any burned dvd's.
FYI, I have the next generation Sony model DVP-300 in our bedroom system, and it does play DVD-R discs created in my Panasonic DMR-E80 recorder. The Sony is about 5 years old.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Guys! This helps so far. :D