DVD Recorder With HD For DirecTivo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-31-2003, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to purchase a dvd recorder to copy programs from my Sony SAT-60. Salesperson at Tweeter advised me not to purchase Panasonic recorder with a hard drive as I already have the programs on the hard drive on my directivo. I am not sure he gave me the correct information. How would I excise out commercials on the recorded programs if I do not have a dvd recorder with a hd.

Stan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-31-2003, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by gostan
I am looking to purchase a dvd recorder to copy programs from my Sony SAT-60. Salesperson at Tweeter advised me not to purchase Panasonic recorder with a hard drive as I already have the programs on the hard drive on my directivo. I am not sure he gave me the correct information. How would I excise out commercials on the recorded programs if I do not have a dvd recorder with a hd.
You couldn't. The salesperson was giving you bad advice. If you want to get rid of commercials, you're going to need a DVD burner with a non-tivo harddrive. I've heard people suggest excising commercials by pausing the recording, but acquaintances who've tried this tell me there is too long a pause in the resumption of recording for this to work, so the only practical way is the one you were intending.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

It is possible to do edits directly on some DVD media without using a hard drive (if you want to save money on equipment). DVD-RAM can do this, but is not very compatable with most OTS players. I personally use a Philips DVDR75 with +RW media. The recording quality is quite good, and so far the edited +RW discs have played in all the stand alone players I have tried thus far.

If Necessity is the mother of invention, then Laziness is surely the father.

5040(1): 00004-54831-55585
5040(2): 00004-54831-83297
post #4 of 4 Old 09-01-2003, 11:02 AM

Pausing and unpausing works fine to edit out commercials on my Philips 985.

If you want to record the entire program with commercials, you can edit afterwards by defining a commercial break as a chapter, then hiding that chapter. When done hiding chapters, make edits compatible so they will be hidden when played in other dvd players.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page