Canadian E80/100 price vs. USA price - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-31-2003, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been thinking of getting either the Panasonic E80 or E100 units stateside what with the increase in value of the Canadian dollar as well, even with having no Canadian warranty the price for buying in Canada seems ridiculous, at close to $1,000CAD extra for the privilege of buying Canadian! I keep hearing that buying things like tools in Canada is way cheaper than buying USA but this doesn't hold when buying electronics, especially new electronics. Can anyone shed some light on why we up here in the North are being gouged? And it isn't just the online retailers. I can buy items from B&M stores from close to the border cities and have them shipped to the border or sent directly into Canada and still pay at least 25% less than buying locally. Something is WRONG with that picture...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-31-2003, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems to simply be a matter of the smaller market in Canada. From the earliest days of Panasonic's DMR-E20, the unit was widely available from many mainstream retailers both B&M as well as online. In Canada, the unit was virtually a secret, available from a few selected dealers that had the market tied up and could charge what they liked.

Currently, Canada seems to be about 18 months behind the U.S. as far as retailer an consumer maturity with this technology. Being in Canada, I can bring in a U.S.DMR-E80 for less than what is being charged locally for the DMR-E50. It's very pathetic.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

I also remember reading something about Canada charging/taxing more items that have storage/memory like hard drives. I don't know why though
post #4 of 4 Old 08-31-2003, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well...they were thinking about it but with Future Shop selling Western Digital 40 - 60 Gig HDDs for $60 - $90CAD (after rebate) that doesn't seem likely. As well, my price on B&M blank DVD-Rs is steadily going down. Verbatim 3 Packs are as low as $7.95 each and Maxell 5 packs are $20. They have signs up all over the place about blank CD-Rs and DVD-+Rs about to be taxed but it hasn't happened as of yet...

I have to agree with JeffWld, the prices we pay are pathetic and online retailing doesn't seem to have clicked in this country at all. Therefore, high prices are the order of the day...
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page