Sirt-165 Hdtv Recording Into Firewire Input On Philips 985 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-31-2003, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I finally hooked up the firewire input on my 985 to the firewire output of the SIRT-165. After being sure it was outputting a signal in the fireware section of the SIRT-165, I see the SIRT-165 correctly identifies the 985 and lists it on the SIRT 165 onscreen display in the firewire device box BUT nothing into the 985 , no signal via firewire.

ALSO the 480i component outputs are either not working right or the 480i inputs on the philip 985 arent, because I am getting double scan, two narrow squeezed images a little bit apart on the screen when I look at what the philips is outputting from the SIRT-165 input.

An early problem with the output of the 985 dvd recorders was that the scan rate of the component outputs was wrong as the sample tv's philips used to set that output scan rate was off by some amount of mhz.

Anyone have any info or thoughts on any of this?

I am disappointed that NEITHER works at all.

Makes recording even short amounts of HDTV off the 165 into the 985 not possible at all. I am posting this in both the tuners section and the HDTV recorders section. I suppose I ought to post it into the dvd recorder section also.
:confused:

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-01-2003, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You can't put HDTV into something that is not HD. DVD Recorders are not and they will not work with HD. Also firewire inputs on DVD recorders are made for DV camcorders. This format is completely different from MPEG2 used by HDTV.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-01-2003, 01:42 PM

Liked: 10
CKNA is correct. The data format of the HD content from the 165 is completely different than that of a camcorder (which the 985 input is designed for). There's far too much information being output too rapidly by the 165. Besides some very expensive Japanese DVD devices, the only way to record HD content is with a DVHS device. I've been using one since they hit the market, and have a growing collection of HD movies, series, etc. (Can't wait until DVD-HD recorders finally hit the market!). I use both a panny and a 165 to record to a JVC DVHS recorder. It works perfectly. Look in the HDTV Recorder forum for more info.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page