E-50 settings help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-31-2003, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Panasonic E50 and would like some suggestions with the settings.

I am primarily recording straight from my digital cable box onto DVD-RAM and DVD-R discs, depending on whether I need to edit the video on my computer or not.

I have been having trouble with Ulead DVD Workshop. I change the .vro file to .mpg and bring it into Ulead, but it will have no audio. The clip, however, will play fine in windows media player...so this lead me to check my audio settings on the E50...

Should I have D.Range Compression enabled?

And under Digital Audio Output, should I have PCM Down Conversion enabled or not?

Should Dolby Digital be set to Bitstream or PCM? And DTS be set to Bitstream or Off?

Ulead plays the audio from video clips that I download off the internet fine...but anything I record from the E50 plays no audio within that program. I tried with different size files, also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-01-2003, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ah, the problem is that DVD Workshop will not allow you to hear AC-3 (Dolby Digital) audio, which is the format in which the E-50 records. To get that capability, they want you to buy the more expensive version that DOES support AC-3 (actually it's not that much more right now -- I think they want $299 for it).

However, what you get in that version really is the ability to CREATE an AC-3 audio track -- you don't really need that since you already have an AC-3 track on the files from the E-50. All you want to do is LISTEN to what's there, but unfortunately they've taken that capability away. A while back, there was a "hack" posted here that allowed you to change a setting in the .INI file to turn the AC-3 "listening" on, but that option is no longer available in the current non-AC-3 version.

In short, you're not doing anything wrong. That's just the way the program works, unless you buy the AC-3 version.

--Bill R.

P.S. I guess I should point out that your AC-3 audio WILL pass through to your finished DVD that you create in DVD Workshop, as long as you use the "do not convert compliant file" option.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page